Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marknicholls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2004
Bristol, England
Hi

I use a windows XP PC and have backed up all my iTunes music onto a external HDD - when i formatted my PC and reloaded all my music back into iTunes all my artwork had gone?

How can i save my artwork with all my music so i do not get the same problem next time i run a backup?

Thanks for any help

Mark

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
mark-

Not sure how this happened as the album art is stored within the ID3 tags. I have my music files mirrored in three (3) different location. All of which are being accessed by different machines. All of my various machines display the album art. Additionally, when I give on of my mp3s to someone, the album art displays for them as well.

So... I'm not sure what happened in your case. Btw, two (2) of my machines are Windows XP machines, the other 2 are macs.

w00master

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
w00master said:
mark-

Not sure how this happened as the album art is stored within the ID3 tags. I have my music files mirrored in three (3) different location. All of which are being accessed by different machines. All of my various machines display the album art. Additionally, when I give on of my mp3s to someone, the album art displays for them as well.

So... I'm not sure what happened in your case. Btw, two (2) of my machines are Windows XP machines, the other 2 are macs.

w00master

hey, would you mind telling me about your setup? i might be interested in something similar for my macs and pcs

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
twoodcc said:
hey, would you mind telling me about your setup? i might be interested in something similar for my macs and pcs

twoodcc-

Oh my setup is definitely clunky. It's as basic as it gets. I have two external drives, my home windows PC, work windows PC, powerbook, and mac mini. Basically all I'm doing is using a file backup software to mirror all of the drives together. Yeah, I know clunky: requires manually syncing data (i.e. music files), can't do it over the network and/or internet, iTunes library functions don't follow (ratings, play counts, etc.), but for the time being it does the job.

My goal is to create a Network Area Storage system, but until there's a way I can maintain a consistent play count, ratings, etc. It'll remain for the most part just a basic synching system.

w00master

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
w00master said:
twoodcc-

Oh my setup is definitely clunky. It's as basic as it gets. I have two external drives, my home windows PC, work windows PC, powerbook, and mac mini. Basically all I'm doing is using a file backup software to mirror all of the drives together. Yeah, I know clunky: requires manually syncing data (i.e. music files), can't do it over the network and/or internet, iTunes library functions don't follow (ratings, play counts, etc.), but for the time being it does the job.

My goal is to create a Network Area Storage system, but until there's a way I can maintain a consistent play count, ratings, etc. It'll remain for the most part just a basic synching system.

w00master

oh ok. thanks for letting me know. i guess i'm wanting to make some type of music server, but really a file server as well. but for now i guess i'll just share files over my network. sorry for posting this in this thread. [but i did send him a pm]

so back on topic now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.