Saving Mac Work Environment.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammmu, Jul 24, 2010.

1. sammmu macrumors newbie

Hey all.

My problem is that I have a work that requires me to open like 8-10 windows everytime. Now, it kinda really sucks to open each one individually multiple times a day.

So, is there any way to save the work environment? I mean, I just load it, and all the apps, text files are opened.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried Automator? Or even AppleScript?

3. sammmu thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I don't know how to use it! :confused:

4. dyn macrumors 68030

You could try Spaces and see if that works for you. Open the work thing in it's own space and leave the stuff running. Switch to another space and do other things. This keeps the stuff open so you don't need to reopen it and it keeps it out of your way. If that's not what you want, I'd suggest checking whether the application is able to save its workspace, if not, you might need something like Automator/AppleScript.

5. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

http://www.autumnapps.com/breeze/

6. sammmu thread starter macrumors newbie

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

You can set it up to automatically open applications when you login - just go to System Preferences -> Accounts and the Login Items. I'm not sure that's what you want, but I don't know about anything else :(

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I wonder if there is a portable way to do this for Windows XP. Ive gotta open a good 20 applications/web pages each day.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Windows forum?

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

This forum Is full of them :) I'll have a google later on. But thanks, id rather not join there lol.

11. thegilly macrumors member

It's straightforward to use Automator to create an applet to launch all the applications you want with one double-click. There may be an action that lets you tell it which websites to open in your browser, I don't know, have a look. Otherwise, Mozilla-based browsers can be set to reopen all your windows and tabs from the last session automatically on launch, and Safari has an option on the History menu to Reopen All Windows From Last Session which brings back all your windows and tabs. That's assuming, of course, that no one's used that user account on that machine since the last time you did. You can also create a folder of bookmarks in Safari for the websites you need, and choose to Open in Tabs from the right-click menu each time.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Code:
    tell application "Mail" to activate

Just do an Applescript like this. Make a new line for each app you want to open.