Saving money and self-installing hi-res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Necrotique, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Necrotique macrumors member

Well, not really saving money as it'll cost more than a store-installed one, but saving money as in not buying a new hi-res model just for the screen.

I decided I should follow this guide (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Unibody-Early-2011-Display/5934/3) and install my own hi-res screen onto my '11 macbook pro 15" as I need more real estate.

However, if you look at the link, then at step no. 7, you can see that you need to "pry" the connectors off.
    The only time I saw someone do this, they ended up snapping the gold part and having to re-glue it in place.
    Does anyone have a video of someone successfully doing so? I'd love to do this but need to know which direction to "spudge" it out in.

Additionally, if anyone could re-direct me to a site that sells the matte/glossy hi-res screens to Australia that'd be great. Someone on here linked me a while back but I've since changed machines and forgot to bookmark it.

Anyhow, looking forward to and am very grateful for the help. Cheers :D

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

As far as I can tell, those DO pull straight up. I have a late 2008 and the airport board uses the same connectors. Just be careful and actually try NOT to use lateral force on them.

I know on ebay I have found some Hi-res screens, usually from china but a couple from Rossmann, who is on the forums here a lot.

3. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Haha, as much as I'd love to just try with them, seeing the guy snap them was very anxiety-inducing. It's about the only thing I wouldn't willingly mod in the 15"

Did you have any links to the eBay sellers? I can't find any under "matte" or "antiglare" that aren't entire systems. Might be my eBay playing up though...

Thanks for the quick reply :p

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I deal with those connectors on Dells on a regular basis. They're SUPER easy to remove without damage to either side but you need to be VERY careful with reinstallation or you risk damaging the connector the wire attaches to. I've "flattened" one or two of those, the "male" side is essentially a strip of copper in a circle shape, soldered to the board.

5. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the encouragement :)
    I'll give it a go, but I still can't find any actual videos anywhere of someone removing one display and attaching another in a 2011 MBP :(

6. DrKockter macrumors member

not worth it

u also void the warranty doing this

7. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

How's it not worth it?
    $400 for new hi-res screen or sell the mbp for ~$1200-1800 and pay ~$3000 for similar spec machine, then pay hi-res on top.
    Not trying to be rude, just want advice.

8. DrKockter macrumors member

would have been only 150 dollars off apple to do it from the start LOl

9. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Got mine for $700 so I feel it's still better value than buying it direct, hence why I couldn't pick hi-res.
    So it's not good value because I could have got it for $150 even though I couldn't?

10. DrKockter macrumors member

hmm, i recomend avoiding upgrading to high res in that case.

trying to install urself could elave to further problems.

maybe best to sell it the way it is? the buyer may not appreciate the seller tinkering with the macbook

11. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I explained properly, so I apologise for that.
    It's my own personal machine, and I feel as if I'd benefit from more screen space, and would rather spend ~$400 than ~$3000-4000 for a new machine.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

That's likely because people don't usually attempt it. There's been a few people on this forum asking about doing it, and general consensus has been that it's not worth it. It's too easy to damage the computer. If your computer is still under warranty, doing this will void the warranty. If you damage it while trying to make the change, it could be very costly to repair. You may save some money if you manage to do it yourself...or you might ruin what is otherwise a perfectly good computer. If you do decide to try it, best of luck!

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Here's the important question: would you rather break it after spending ~$400 and then spend ~$4,200-5,800 (using your numbers -- the existing one will be worthless if you break it) on top of that? That's where you need to make the call regarding worth. Good luck with it if you decide to proceed. It can certainly be done but one person's success doesn't guarantee your success.

14. Necrotique, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the concise answer.
    I'd love to attempt it as I've always been the tinkerer, but am very dubious about the airport "plugs"
    Aside from that I have all the right tools and a guide so I'm wondering whether it's worth giving it a go...
    Or, should I stay at current resolution and just zoom out and pretend it's a higher-res screen? :p haha

EDIT: Woah, why the hate for the first post?

15. theappletree macrumors newbie

It all comes down to experience. If you are not comfortable with circuit boards or have hesitation about how much force they can take before breaking, I strongly recommend sending it out to a professional repair company or upgrade company.

Even professionals make mistakes though, and that is where circuit board repair comes in, which requires knowledge of soldering, desolder pumps, and other tools of the trade.

This is a minor upgrade. Find a video on youtube.com, move slowly, and NEVER FORCE something. If you're think you're exerting too much force, you probably are. In that case, take a deep breath and start over from the beginning.

Best,
    TAT
    Apple Repairs, Upgrades, and Custom Builds

16. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for taking the time to give me advice mate, appreciated :)

I think I might give it a go sometime next week (have to factor in shipping) but I can't find any youtube videos for this make of macbook pro which is a real pity.
    The *only* bit that puts me off is the copper male parts mentioned above, which I would worry about accidentally breaking.
    They're meant to come straight off though, are they not - as in just lift them up and wiggle gently?
    Again, thanks for the help :)

17. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

18. DrKockter macrumors member

when did macbooks cost 3000-4000 dollars? LOLOL

19. teksurv macrumors regular

I use the step by step guides over at ifixit.com a lot. This isn't a complicated procedure if you are reasonably comfortable working with electronics. Take the typical precautions and proceed slowly. The connectors you are concerned about do lift off vertically, though a slight angle is fine. Good luck.

20. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The OP stated he needs someone to ship the screen to Australia, so I assume that's where he is. Check the Apple Store for Australia...the top 15" model with upgraded processor and high-res anti-glare screen runs $2944. If you add other options, you can easily hit that 3000-4000.

21. DrKockter macrumors member

thats still not 3000-4000 dollars, LOL

true that slappning on the SSDs etc etc can bring the price up, the OP clearly doesnt need that kind of specs, most people dont

22. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Depending on what the OP has now, it could easily cost 3000-4000 for a replacement. If you add a larger or faster HDD to the price I gave before it will put it over 3000. You don't know exactly what the specs of his machine are, and you don't know exactly what he needs. To say he doesn't need it because most people don't is ridiculous. If most don't, that means that some do.

23. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Summary

A$ 4,458.99 incl. GST
    Financing Available

Specifications
    2.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x4GB
    512GB Solid State Drive
    HD 6770 w/ 1GB DDR5 VRAM
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Backlit Keyboard & User's Guide

This is without the boot SSD as well...
    Why do people assume what I need? I need a high powered rig (check) which I'd now like a hi-res screen for.
    I got it for cheap (less the upgrades like 16GB RAM, double-drives) but if I needed to replace it then it'd be costly was the point he was making.

Anyhow, I think I'll give it a go sometime once the old bank account lets me, haha

24. Necrotique thread starter macrumors member

Cheers guys - I feel a lot more comfortable now :)

25. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If you happen to decide to order a new MBP instead, you can save yourself a LOT of cash by ordering it with the standard 4GB of RAM and standard HDD, then upgrading the RAM and SSD yourself. They're easy upgrades to do and much cheaper than having Apple do it for you.