Saving money on iMac purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dannyboxer, Oct 30, 2008.

1. dannyboxer macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Ok I am going to buy a iMac soon and I want to know as many ways as saving money on it as possible.

I would like to buy it from the apple store though just because it's a big amount of money and I wouldn't really trust eBay with that amount.

I am from the UK so please don't post a load of stuff which is only for the USA.

I have heard about the Live cashback thing but I think it is only for the USA, is there a UK alternative?

I would also like to buy AppleCare to go along with my iMac, I'm assuming eBay is the cheapest way to do this.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Have you tried looking at the refurbished iMacs on Apple's website? Those are some pretty good deals.

3. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

One recommendation - don't buy AppleCare until later (obviously before the one year warranty runs out). Saves you paying even more money out at once, and if you don't like the iMac and return/sell it on for whatever reason, the money hasn't been wasted.

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Buy it from John Lewis and you will have excellent customer service and a free 2 year warranty (apple care, but through John Lewis I think). If you buy online, search google for discount codes, you can normally find some valid ones for John Lewis :D

5. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Yeah might do that. Good idea.

6. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I used to buy apple care from the states via eBay as it was cheaper but not sure now with the exchange rate...

7. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Just checked. The UK website doesn't have the 3.06Ghz ones in stock. Is there much of a difference between the 2.8Ghz and the 3.06Ghz models? I will be using it mainly for video editing and might buy Final Cut.

8. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

I think your money would be best put towards Final Cut rather than paying for a processor upgrade.

Edit: Some CPU benchmarks - http://barefeats.com/imp02.html

9. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Yeah there is not really £200 worth of difference between the them.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Do you have a job? If so see if your employer has a deal with Apple for an EPP store. We have here, discount is about 6% on an iMac right now...

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

If you play games the 3.06 is definitely worth it as it comes with the much, much faster nvidia 8800.

12. Igantius macrumors 65816

You can also configure a 2.8GHz model with a 8800.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Don't buy memory upgrades through Apple. Just buy a plain iMac and if you want memory upgrades, buy them from a third party and install them yourself.

Don't be afraid of refurbs from the Apple store. Look around on the forums and you'll find that refurbs are virtually always perfect, and save you quite a bit of money. You might even get lucky and get extra ram or hard drive space.

14. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Yeah, a paperound :) I don't reckon my employer has a deal with Apple.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Education discount then?

16. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

No I just use my playstation when ever I want to play games.

But then isn't it only like £50 of the normal 3.06GHz version? I'll just get a 2.8GHz version, I don't think that I really need the top end iMac.

17. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

Anyway the rumor is that iMacs will get an update soon in November some time. Any updates happening could only reduce the price couldn't they? There's no way they will make them more expensive is there?

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple traditionally keep the price the same with better specs, although the Macbook prices (excluding the white plastic ones) actually went up with the last update. You also have to remember if you are outside the USA that prices are set in dollars then converted. The dollar has got stronger against a lot of currencies in the last few months making local prices rise when new machines come out...

19. New Mac 4 Me macrumors newbie

8800 Upgrade worth it?

I'm not much of a gamer but do anticipate using sling box to watch tv remotely.

Primary use will be for work related (Word, excel, etc.) also, on-line stock trades.

Recommend upgrade to 8800 on 2.8ghz 24" model?

Thanks for replies!

20. dannyboxer thread starter macrumors regular

dannyboxer

I'd wait until the iMac update which is rumored to happen sometime in November. This update would bring the iMacs up with the new MacBooks with the graphics cards. Also seeing as the new LED 24" cinema displays it would make sense that the new iMacs use the same 24" LED display.

21. Igantius macrumors 65816

More like £150 - but the hard drive is 320GB as opposed to 500GB. What Fuchal said reminded just me of a few reviews I've seen, where the reviewer said you'll be using an iMac for gaming, you're best off with the 2.8GHz model and upgrading the graphics – and it was more in relation to what he said, rather than what you need!

As dannyboxer said, if you can hang for a bit, new models are expected sometime soonish…

But returning to the present models, from what you’ve said, there’s no need for you to upgrade the card to an 8800. That said, as the iMacs are far from upgradeable, I would be tempted to upgrade anyway (if within my budget).