Saving my wallpaper from "set as wallpaper"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BossHogg, Jun 4, 2009.

1. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

OK....just got back from vacation and was moving pics around iPhoto. Couldn't seem to make a copy to a flash drive so I deleted the pics and figured I'd start again. DOPE !!!

1/2 of the pics were already off my digital camera !!! :mad::mad:

OK....breath....now the last nice pic from the 50% of my family vacation is on my wallpaper. OK....how do I save my wallpaper to a new image ?

In other words, the image should no longer exist because I deleted it....but its on my desktop wallpaper....I need that image !!!! Any way I can save it ????

Help !!!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm not sure how at the moment but if you clear up your desktop you can start with a screenshot just in case.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

 -> System Preferences -> Desktop & Screen Saver -> Desktop. You can drag the desktop picture out of the image well and onto your desktop to copy the image file.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How? I just tried it with a random picture I set as background via Safari, but I can't find it in the Desktop System Preferences.
    Also dragging an already present picture out of the "image well" doesn't work.
    Does one have to hold a key to do this?

5. BossHogg thread starter macrumors member

BossHogg

I thought of the same thing with the System Preferences but there is only blank space in the lil' preview cube....unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

And great advice on the screen pic !!! At the very least I have the best of the memories !!!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Nope, it just works for me.

If the image well is blank, it's not going to work. Let me snoop around a bit and I'll get back to you.

Attached Files:

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I understood you wrong, I dragged from where all the pictures are when one opens a folder of pictures.

Now I tried to drag from the little well you meant on the top left of the preferences, and it worked like a charm.

Thank you.

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

You can also find this folder by clicking on your hard drive in Finder. Go to Library/Desktop Pictures.

Dale

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My pleasure.

I thought the file might be cached somewhere, but in com.apple.desktop.plist it seems to refer to the original path. When you restart, I think the desktop picture will be gone.