Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
My app already uses NSUserdefaults to store user input so that it is retained when they return to my app. Since I already have all the code in place to update the NSUserdefaults when textfields are edited and reload the values into the textfields when the user returns to the program.

Now I have people requesting that I add the ability to store multiple sets of values that can be retreived. Since I didn't originally develop my app to have a database, the idea I am wondering about is can I transfer the NSUserDefaults to a database when a user presses a save button? I assume I could use SQL, but it's only about 30 values and let's say people would want 20 or 30 records at the most. Is SQL the best bet for this? I store the values in NSUserdefaults as NSStrings. I envision copying the NSUserDefaults to the database when the user presses save along with prompting them for a name to use for retreival. When the user wants to retreive a set of values they are copied from the database back into the NSUserDefaults.

Is this a good plan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.