Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Ok so this may be a dumb idea, i dno, but its just something Ive thought about. I used to have the unlimited messaging plan, then realized that I was never using more than 1500 texts in a month. Usually around 1200. So I switched to the 1500 plan. Well Ive dropped even lower than 1200 and was wondering if any of you set up the 200 SMS plan and once you reach 200 move up to the 1500 plan and so on. Figured it would be a way to cut a few bucks off the bill. Obviously its not much but saving money anyway is great imo. It may be a bit of a hassle having to constantly keep track but what do you guys think?

cu2010

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
new york city
Ok so this may be a dumb idea, i dno, but its just something Ive thought about. I used to have the unlimited messaging plan, then realized that I was never using more than 1500 texts in a month. Usually around 1200. So I switched to the 1500 plan. Well Ive dropped even lower than 1200 and was wondering if any of you set up the 200 SMS plan and once you reach 200 move up to the 1500 plan and so on. Figured it would be a way to cut a few bucks off the bill. Obviously its not much but saving money anyway is great imo. It may be a bit of a hassle having to constantly keep track but what do you guys think?

I had never gone over 200 until last month but right now am using 1500, so i switched my plans. had i not done that, at&t would have charged me $.10/ additional text, or $130 give or take. so it's a good idea to change ur plans according to ur usage. you only need to remember to check ur data usage once a month.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I've found that the 200 message plan really is too small, and the 1500 is too big. Wish AT&T had something in between!

If you do try this, just keep in mind that when you switch mid cycle, the 1500 will be prorated over the rest of the cycle--and the 200 is prorated up until the day you made the switch. I did this last month about 10 days before the cycle ended and it cut the 200 plan down to 180, while everything from that date forward was prorated at around 50 messages a day. Thankfully I wasn't already over the 180 that point, or I would've been paying overages in addition to the prorated 1500 I added!

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Why don't you guys just use GoogleVoice and you can save a boat load of money. Seeing how the SMS messages get forwarded to an email address you can easily reply via email. The only downside is no MMS but you can always email pics/vids instead.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I have the 200 message plan for me and the wife. We use AIM almost for all our messaging to each other and other people.:)

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I've found that the 200 message plan really is too small, and the 1500 is too big. Wish AT&T had something in between!

People have concluded that you are like most users, using well less than 1500, but more than 200 in a month. So they have those two plans-because they get the most money. Most people who will use less than 200 will use almost none. I won't complain because I do between 4 and 5 thousand per month.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006
My friends, family and I stopped using text messages. We all now use Kik, which is a cross platform messenger (a copy of the Blackberry Messenger) which works great and is free.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Why don't you guys just use GoogleVoice and you can save a boat load of money. Seeing how the SMS messages get forwarded to an email address you can easily reply via email. The only downside is no MMS but you can always email pics/vids instead.

Can you elaborate on this? I tend to use just around 1800 texts a month, sometimes 1900-2000 - but the 1500 plan just isn't enough. So I pay out the ass $20 for unlimited when other carriers charge MUCH LESS for unlimited, or, have higher than 1500 plans.

If I use GoogleVoice and someone texts my phone #, is something avoided as to where it doesn't count against my texzt messaging plan? or would they have to use my googlevoice # to text? I'm not familiar with GoogleVoice or how this all would work, but I am interested. Cause if I can ditch this $20 messaging charge I'm all over it.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Can you elaborate on this? I tend to use just around 1800 texts a month, sometimes 1900-2000 - but the 1500 plan just isn't enough. So I pay out the ass $20 for unlimited when other carriers charge MUCH LESS for unlimited, or, have higher than 1500 plans.

If I use GoogleVoice and someone texts my phone #, is something avoided as to where it doesn't count against my texzt messaging plan? or would they have to use my googlevoice # to text? I'm not familiar with GoogleVoice or how this all would work, but I am interested. Cause if I can ditch this $20 messaging charge I'm all over it.

When you use GoogleVoice to text you have to use your GoogleVoice number if you don't want to have to pay. It takes away a few features from the iPhone because you have to use one of the many GoogleVoice apps to carry about your text messaging (instead of the default one), you don't get MMS, and you have to alert everyone of your new number.

It's also a bit annoying because you have to consistently remind yourself to make calls from your GoogleVoice number rather than from your built in phone and if you use the iPhone's auto-phone link feature (where you just push a number on a webpage to call) it can get annoying at times as that uses the default.

Alternatively you can use two numbers but that generally pisses people off and they stop bothering to contact you. The same holds true for people who use applications like TextFree where you are assigned another number (or some spam at the beginning of your text message). Using two numbers generally gives off the impression you are cheap and isn't exactly convenient.

There's also the privacy potential of what Google can do with your information. You basically agree that they can use it for anything they want, but it's not like that really matters.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
I think some of you are missing my point. For someone who only uses say 300 texts in a month wouldn't it make sense to use the $5 plan until you hit 200 then switch to the $15 1500 SMS plan for the remainder of the month so youre only paying about $7 instead of $15. Now this may be more of a hassle than to just pay the extra $8 a month but still youre saving $96 a year! Every bit adds up!

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Guys :) Download TextFree from the AppStore, free unlimited sms :D

Works in the US and Canada, and I've tested it in Chile and it works too :D

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Guys :) Download TextFree from the AppStore, free unlimited sms :D

Works in the US and Canada, and I've tested it in Chile and it works too :D

honestly id rather just pay ATT for texts rather than have to give everyone in my contacts list some strange 5 digit number or whatever that they can only use to text me and have to use my real number to call.

bender o

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
honestly id rather just pay ATT for texts rather than have to give everyone in my contacts list some strange 5 digit number or whatever that they can only use to text me and have to use my real number to call.

I thought you were looking to save a few bucks lol

Btw I think going through all that trouble (okay maybe not aaaaall that but you know what I mean) to change your plan EVERY month is much more than just giving once you're new text number to everyone or adding a signature with your name at the bottom the first couple of times :)

But well, we don't have unlimited sms's here so this works great for texting my gf :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.