Saving online video/sound stream onto mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brasiliangringo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

Hi, I read the computer saves live streaming video (Eg playing yutube) somewhere on the disk. Can anyone tell me short of downloading some program which will do it, how i can use what i already have to access this stream on my macbook unibody ?

Ive tried saving online streaming with VLC but didnt work and other free or demo programs didnt capture the sound so be grateful for any ways simply utilising my mac and terminal to get these streams !

thanks

2. VictorNT macrumors member

SnapzProX from Ambrosia Software. It's not free but it works !:)

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Have pro version of Snapz - hate it. Theres not menu fuction, no instructions how to start/stop recording, it dissapears and doesnt stay in the dock so have to find it in apps, then it saves very pixelated versions of the stream, which are crap.. I tried some others but the sound wasnt there.. Jinx, seerium, mozilla ad on which doesnt save the tv stream i want (granted it works for youtube)

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You're gonna have to do a lot more research when it comes to stream-recording.

My favourite methods: for realmedia streams, CLI (Terminal) mplayer with the -dumpstream option; for windows media, mmsclient.

Some newer methods like the flash over RTSP (iirc) only have working recorders for Windows.

5. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

Simple Technique -- with Safari

If trying to capture a youtube video, you can use Safari... see hint:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070420014456930