"Saving Our Jailbreak" Walkthrough, for the rest of us

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by braddick, Jan 10, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Right now I have my iPhone4 jailbroken on 4.1
    It is set up exactly and perfectly as I want it. The Cydia apps in place and the theme I'm using all work for me. The iPhone itself (finally) runs smoothly without issues.

Now, here is the deal. I've been reading these forums with interest over the last few months and I know there are ways to back up and save my jailbrake but in all honesty, I simply don't know what my first step would be or really, how to go about doing this.
    I know it involves 'tiny umbrellas' and 'shh'ing'... I think.

I'm aware it's a hassle but if one of you experts in this would please provide not just what to do but more importantly, how to do so I'd be grateful. In other words, a step by step set of instructions.

I'm pretty good at following, "Step 1: Do this__________. Step 2, do this_______________, and so forth.

Again, not to be a pain but for me and others who need this, please help.

I'd hate to have something go haywire with my iPhone, forcing me to possibly restore and loosing what now is the perfect setup.

Thanks, in advance!

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

I don't feel like writing an essay when all the info is right here on the forum but the short answer is this:

Open Cydia and check on the top frontpage, which SHSH blobs you have saved via Cydia. If it includes 4.1 you are golden and can always restore your iPhone back to 4.1. Look at the attached pic

[​IMG]

this means you can Restore back to any of the fw versions listed in the pic. Right now, with 4.2.1 being the latest fw Apples which 'signs', without SHSH blobs saved you can only Restore back to 4.2.1.

TU from http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ allows you to save SHSH blobs locally, centrally and even on a non-jailbroken iPhone. It also does wonders like kicking you out of Recovery mode if you ever get stuck during a Restore.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Seriously, thanks guys. That info is golden and I've now got it all bookmarked.
    I appreciate your help.

5. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi,
    Those informations really helped thanks.. But i have another question.. my phone is Jbroken 4.1 and i'm happy with everything so far. but i want to restore but stick with 4.1 fw again, without upgrading my BB. is that possible? also do i have to re-upload all my songs and apps again after re-storing?

Cheers

6. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Just as I said above, in order to Restore back to 4.1 you need to use your SHSH blobs.

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/09/08/downgrade-iphone-ios-4-1/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AfH_f8CRz4

Re: songs and apps you naturally always do regular backups via iTunes. Once the restore back to 4.1 is done using the guide above you simply re-sync songs/apps from iTunes back on to yr iPhone. Don't restore your iPhone completely from an old backup as the backup itself most likely contains the 'bugs' that caused your iPhone to die on you in the 1st place!

7. Steve-Jobs macrumors 6502

Steve-Jobs

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I wathed the video it's pretty straight forward the only thing i didn't get is the when you click restore it asks you which fm you want to restore to, and you download the firmware and that's it. So what is the SHSH is for then? I didn't get that part. if you're not using SHSH to restore, you can pretty much download the formware and done.

Thanks

8. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

When installing the firmware, the system makes a query to Apple for the SHSH blobs - TU intercepts this, and supplies the SHSHs you've stored.

No SHSHs blobs, then the firmware won't install.

9. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

i am already on 4.1 i had used pwnage tool to update from 4.0.1 as i did not want to update my baseband since i use ultrasn0w for unlock.
    now if i wanna restore the phone again, do i follow the same method?? with a custom ipsw created using pwnage...

10. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

Does this work for updating for a specific firmware as well? I have 3.1.3 on my 3GS but I want to try iOS 4 for the folders but I need to keep my unlock so I want to update to 4.1 and not the current 4.2.1 so can I just use my SHSH blobs just like someone that is downgrading?

11. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

yes, once you're on the PwnageTool bandwagon you should they there. Use the same method to restore to 4.1 as you did when going there from 4.0.1

12. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Yes you can, use PwnageTool to create a Custom IPSW w/ firmware 4.1 and the baseband that you currently have, which is unlockable.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/1359246784/20102010-event

13. wolfgang666 macrumors regular

cheers for that mate..