Saving photos as individual files in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doguhan, Oct 1, 2009.

1. doguhan macrumors newbie

Hi all. I am very new to macs and recently started playing around with the one I bought a few weeks ago. I imported my photo collection into iPhoto. I wanted to know if there was a way I could make changes i.e. enhance function on the photos and then do a "save as" to another individual file as opposed to saving it in the main, big iphoto file. I couldn't find a way to do that through iPhoto. Also, if there isn't a way to do it, does anyone have any other suggestions through any other programs?

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Why do you want to do that? iPhoto is an organizing app, and does its job brilliantly. If you edit a photo in iPhoto, iPhoto keeps the original version automatically for you so that if you want to revert to that down the line, you can. It automatically shows only the most recently modified version in the app, and keeps the original tucked away for safekeeping.

If this does not address you issue, can you please explain more fully what you want to accomplish?

3. womble2k2 macrumors regular

Interesting, as I was trying to do something similar last night. I wanted to email a cropped version of a photo in my library without changing the original.

Ended up cropping, dragging to the email, sending it and then reverting the photo to the original. I'm sure there's a better way but was in a hurry so didn't investigate.

Phil

4. doguhan thread starter macrumors newbie

Basically its like this. I took a bunch of photos from a vacation that I was on and wanted to post them to Facebook. I'm not good at editing photos and noticed that the enhance button does some amazing stuff (for my needs). So I was going through the 300+ photos but only want to post a few of them. If I go through each one individually (and upload to facebook) it creates a separate album for each picture. I wanted to just enhance the ones I wanted to post, then save in a separate folder so I can just bulk upload the ones I want real quick through Facebook instead of iPhoto.

Again, if there is a quicker, more efficient process please let me know. I am open to any suggestions!

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

O.K., here is a better way. Create a folder on you desktop, maybe "Facebook" or "Summer Vacation". You already have your photos imported into iPhoto. Use the enhance function as you are doing, and when done, drag or export the selected photos to the folder you have created on your desktop (in advance). Then simply upload that folder. Simple.

6. doguhan thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definitely try that out! Hope it works, thanks!!!

7. Alan64 macrumors member

I'm another :apple:iPhoto newbie and I was concerned about keeping my originals intact. You answered my question before I even asked it! Thanks.