Saving photos cropped in iOS 5 to your computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by werty1098765, Oct 23, 2011.

1. werty1098765 macrumors newbie

With the release of iOS 5 my dad was looking forward to being able to crop photos imported from a camera on his iPad. That was he could sit there on the sofa at night and sift through them.
    The feature came along, cropping them through the photos app is really intuitive and easy to use and he could sift through them in no time. However when it came to putting the cropped photos onto the computer he had a problem. The crops made would could not been seen on the computer. The original image was there, no changes at all.
    He is admittedly doing this on a PC running windows XP, something we though might be the cause of the problem, however i have tried it on my iMac running Lion and the problem is the same for me. This is the same no matter the method of import as i have tried both iPhoto and Image Capture.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Or have any of you done the same thing with success? If you think we are doing something wrong then please let me know. I got the feeling it was a bug in the software that hopefully apple will update in the near future but I may well be wrong.

Any advice will be welcomed,
    Thank you in advance
    Rhys (and his dad)

2. umchaos macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem.
    I am using iOS5 on a new 4S
    I can edit pictures using the built-in Photos app
    The edits "appear" to save
    As stated in the initial post, I can email, mms, etc the edited pictures
    I cannot download the "edited" pictures to my Windows PC
    Only the original, unedited version is available for transfer/download.

3. Lukeyy19, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

that's because you are not actually cropping the photo, if you go back into the edit mode after you save it, and go back to crop, you'll notice you can pinch it back to its original size, because the iPhone/iPad is just saving how you wish to view it on the device, not actually altering the image.

if you use an app like the free Adobe Photoshop Express, when you crop and save, it does save it as an extra image, and will also be added to the Photo Stream for access from your computer.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There are definitely some issues with cropping/altering photos in iOS5. As mentioned, you aren't actually "changing" the photo - just writing out some metadata saying how it should be viewed. But other bugs include if you put a photo up on Facebook, the preview will appear cropped (or rotated or whatever), but the actual photo posted will be the original un-altered one.

I second the recommendation for Photoshop Express, nice app.

5. Dudikowski macrumors newbie

Dudikowski

Works with Photoshop now!

I am a new user with an iPad 3 and I saw this problem today. It had also discovered how simple it is to crop and adjust rotation sitting in the sofa with my iPad. And then I saw that the cropping disappear after import.

More or less by accident I saw that Photoshop CS6 with Camera Raw 7.1 honors the crop setting from the iPad!

I doubled clicked one of the photos and Photoshop open it with the Camera Raw dialog window. To my surprise I see the cropped version. If I click the crop tool I can see the full image with the cropping area.

See attached image.

I don't know how long this has worked or which software version this works with. If someone knows more about this compatibility please let us know.

If I open the same jpeg image with Mac OS X Preview 6.0 in Mountain Lion I see the full image. I also tried the latest Graphical Converter 8.2 and is not reading the cropping data either.

Attached Files:

6. Dudikowski macrumors newbie

Dudikowski

Iphoto works too

I tried the same thing with iPhoto and it behave just like Photoshop. After I have imported the image I see the cropped version. If I go to Edit and the crop settings I can see the full image.

The advantage with iPhoto is that the image lands in iPhoto cropped and ready to use. With Photoshop you would need to crop and save a copy for every image (or create an action that will do it for you).

So the best way to do this is probably to crop the images on the iPad and then use iPhoto to import them (not Image Capture).