Saving Photos From Safari!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theraider, Aug 8, 2008.

1. theraider macrumors newbie

So my brother got an iPhone 3g three days ago and he has been using it a lot. I have an iPod Touch so we have been discussing different applications we like and different tips and tricks and things like that.

So today I was trying to figure out if there was an application or a java plugin or something like that to be able to download pictures or files from mobile safari. He told me, "oh, dude that's easy" and than preceded to show me that if you just "click" with your finger down on a picture and hold, a prompt will come up asking to "save photo" or to "cancel"

It then saves the picture to the photo album titled "Saved Photos" on the iPod Touch and to the "Camera Roll" on the iPhone.

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I thought I would say something about it, due to the fact that I have never heard anything that allowed you to do this.

iPod Touch 16 GB
    [​IMG]

iPhone 3G 16 GB
    [​IMG]

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Major hint:

Scroll to the bottom of your main Favorites page in Safari.

You'll find a couple of links to online manuals, so you can find out about things like this.

Cheers, Kev

4. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

AWESOME !!! Hey, THANKS for sharing this. I did not know this, but I'm sure everyone has been wondering if we can do this.
    For those in the "we've discussed this before" category, please patiently realize that there are a lot of people that are just now getting their phones. I got mine last week, and I have learned a lot so far, but I still see people asking questions about stuff that I now consider to be "duh," but I still politely answer their question. The quicker we answer, the quicker we can all move on and be happy. :)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/tips/

There was another thread on here earlier today (I can't find it), but someone was asking if there's a way to take a photo on their iPhone with the camera, then post it on MacRumors when they are away from their computer. Sure, we all know how to email a photo to our email accounts, but the question really is that of can you upload a photo to the internet as a file (like to Flickr or MacRumors) all from the iPhone ?

I just found the other thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=540503

5. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Does it just save the image into your photos, or is there a way to view it as a "file" and therefore be able to upload it to a website as a file or attach it to an email as a file ?

6. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Okay, I just did this and the resolution is terrible, but hey, it's better than nothing.
    Still though, as revolutionary of a device as the iPhone3G is, we should expect better quality images.
    Now the question is ... how can we access the saved image as a file and upload it to a website?

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The image is the same quality as it is on the website until it gets too large. Remember the iPhone has 16gb max so it really doesn't have the space to be downloading big images.

8. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I realized this later. Thank you. The iPhone allows you to enlarge a screen larger than a computer does; the resolution decreases when you go beyond normal size.

9. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I logged off of my computer, and logged on with my iPhone3G and clicked on "Post Reply." Then I clicked under "Attach Files," on "Manage Attachments," and when I did the buttons were grayed out...

WHY ????

Screenshot:

Attached Files: