saving programs! (my mac is being re-imaged)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jcuesta, Aug 3, 2008.

1. jcuesta macrumors newbie

hey my fellow mac users,

signed up here hoping for some help and insight for something im worrying about. i start school in about 2 weeks and we have a laptop program going on there. i have just a reg old macbook i got last year and when we go back to school, they are re-imaging them with updates and new software? im not sure.

but my question is, i have two specific programs that i've purchased (those being logic express and propellerheads recycle 2.1) and i've heard that when the tech people re-image our laptops, everything will be deleted off. how can i save/ prevent these programs from being deleted? do i need an external hard drive?

any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,
    jc

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

If you bought logic express you should have the dvd that came with it. ;)

The other program I've never heard of.

3. jcuesta thread starter macrumors newbie

^ Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

I do indeed still have the installation disk. But I will still need to back up all my saved files and what not. I guess it's time to invest in an external harddrive :eek:

4. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Yeah, I would invest in the external. I was recently suggested to use a program called CarbonCopyCloner (google it) when I switched from my MB to MBP. It worked like a charm. Saved my applications folder and my user files.

5. jcuesta thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I will definitely look into that, thanks.

Do you know if I can just transfer the apps onto an external harddrive so they won't be deleted? Or is that not possible? Sorry I'm not very computer savvy heh.

6. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

While I'm not familiar with those two programs, you generally have two options:

1. Buy a separate hard disk and clone your whole hardrive on to it using Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper (both free for this purpose).

Or:

2. Find out where on your hard drive both programs save their preferences and any documents that are created when you are working on a project in each of the programs and drag these on to a USB stick or external hard drive. Then, if your hard drive is reformatted at school you later re-load the programs on to your Mac using the install discs or whatever you used to put them on your Mac in the first place then put the preferences and documents back in the place you got them from originally. Start up each program and, if they act like a lot of programs, everything should be as you left it.

7. Tourist macrumors member

Have a look at the size of all the files in the User account you log in on, and work out if it will fit on a USB Stick, or whether you will need an external HDD.

I am assuming that you installed your Apps under in your User Account, and not via Admin into they global Applications directory.

You should not need to go hunting for any other files as I assume you only have rights to your user account and are not logging on as Admin or Root

8. jcuesta thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I have Super Duper already installed on my mac right now, but in regards to purchasing a separate hard disk, what route should I take? I don't know what to get unfortunately, as in pricing, models, etc etc.

Would this work?

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=11062

I supposed that I could just drag the apps onto an external hard drive and would be as simple as that. But, I have located all the files that the programs save to, so I may just go with route #2, as you suggested.

Thanks,
    jc

9. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Your best bet from my experience from backing up applications would to create a clone of your drive. One reason for that is the Logic has a lot of files in many different places, and it would be hard to make sure that you get them all.