saving/restoring txt msgs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dmbrem99, Dec 17, 2009.

1. dmbrem99 macrumors member

Can someone recommend something that can save txt messages and restore them on an iPhone?

I have to do a restore-to-new on my iPhone and all my txt's will be erased... there are a few I would like to save and put back on my phone after I restore it.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. SeanMcC macrumors regular

Just ask your friend to send you the sexts again after you restore. ;)

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

If you restore from a backup you'll get all your texts back.

5. Tu13es macrumors regular

My phone is jailbroken. How would I do it?

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry aggie, this isn't true. Texts will be restored from a backup, and there are some 3rd party apps for your computer that will export them for you. Are you on a Mac or PC OP?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You don't think I know that texts are backed up and restored from a backup??

Anyway, what it seemed like the OP wanted was a way to get his texts on a computer and be able to look at them, and also be able to put them back on the iPhone if he wanted to. I know there is software that supposedly will read the backup file, but I haven't used it or know if it really works. Also, you won't be able to get those exported texts back on to the iPhone unless you're JB.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, misunderstood what you were saying. I used iphoneview(?) on my mac and it basically exports as a text file that you can load back up the phone. I'm not sure if this works on 3GS'/SL.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No problem. Here's what someone can use for a PC:

http://www.reincubate.com/labs/iphone-backup-extractor-how-extract-files-iphone-backup-windows/

Use the iPhone Backup Extractor to make a db file of the texts (or any number of other parts in the backup....notes, etc.)

http://menoob.com/2008/12/04/how-to-save-and-read-your-iphone-text-messages-on-your-computer/

You don't necessarily need DiskAid if you already have the backup on your PC, but DiskAid is invaluable if you've somehow crapped your computer and only have the iPhone, since it can read the iPhone and get your backup on to a computer. After extracting the part of the backup you want, use the linked SQLite Database Browser to then make a csv file that can be read by Excel or other programs. You'll be able to at least see your messages (or any number of other parts in the backup....notes, etc., that you extracted from the backup above).

Of course, that's only to look at the files. Getting them back on the iPhone is problematic unless your jail broke.

BTW, this is how you'd get contacts from a backup:

It's easy to restore the contact information from an iPhone backup. Follow these steps:

1. Using the iPhone Backup Extractor, restore the file "Libray/AddressBook/AddressBook.sqllitedb". This is a SQL Lite database file with all of your contacts.

2. Use the SQLite Database Browser.

3. Open the restored file with the SQLite Database Browser , choose the "Execute SQL" tab and paste this into the "SQL string" field:

select ABPerson.first,ABPerson.last,ABMultiValue.value from ABPerson,ABMultiValue where ABMultiValue.record_id=ABPerson.ROWID

4. When you press the "Execute Query" button, you will see your full contact list shown in the "Data returned" field.

You can then paste that to an Excel file or wherever.