Saving SHSHs from a replacement phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by crazytiger86, Jan 2, 2011.

1. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Hello and happy new year mates!
    If I get a replacement phone from Apple and it happens to be 4.0.2 is it possible for me to plug it into TU and save the SHSHs or is it too late for that? Also are SHSHs tied to each phone? i.e. I am sending out my old iP4 to Apple because of a hardware issue for replacement. Am I able to use the SHSHs from my OLD iP4 (I have all the way to 4.0.1) with the new replacement phone?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You cannot save SHSH's for 4.0.2 now, you will be too late as Apple is no longer signing 4.0.2.

Yes SHSH's are tied to the phone, so you cannot use the SHSH's from the old phone with the replacement phone.

3. crazytiger86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! So if I get a 4.0.2 phone, its best for me to try and unlocking it and dont mess up while doing so.

4. noiceT macrumors 6502a

If the replacement is on 4.0.2, then the BB is 1.59.00

Use this tutorial to upgrade to 4.1 and keep baseband.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12136

Then, jailbreak with either GP or LR, install cydia, and the unlock.

5. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Only catch is, 4.2 is what's current.

Of course, at this point in time, you're probably going to get a refurb and it might have SHSH blobs saved.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I recommend not messing around with any upgrading since at the current moment there is no real untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1.

If your lucky enough to get a device that comes with an older firmware, keep the firmware as is, although if it is a refurb the will most likely about to the software to the latest version before they give it to you.

As the last poster said it is possible you could get a device with SHSH's saved so it may be worthwhile trying to find some SHSH's via tinyumbrella just in case although it is unlikely there will be saved SHSH's as most users don't save SHSH's.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're not going to get one with 4.0.2
    Maybe 4.1 if you're lucky but most likely 4.2.1

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Agreed it is very unlikely he will get a phone with 4.0.2. However, there is a dev working on a new tool that will save SHSH off the phone instead of from apple.
    This would allow you to save shsh for the firmware you have on the phone if he is successful.

9. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

I wouldn't hold out for that. The SHSH's are not "on the phone". They are generated using encryption techniques on Apple servers. In order to do this without Apple the dev would need a master private encryption key. Highly unlikely.

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

All I know is that there has been chatter between three devs based on a recent discovery. They are convinced they can regenerate the SHSH only for the firmware on the phone and I will wait and see.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly shsh's are not saved or located anywhere on the phone. What the poster above heard doesn't make much sense.

12. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Yeah, I've seen ih8sn0w's conversation as well. Just my opinion that it seems highly unlikely. Either the master key is required or there must be a flaw in the encryption hardware which is exploitable. Whilst a flaw may exist, that would likely only allow the shsh check to be bypassed, not to actually generate valid blobs. And if you could bypass the check then they would do just that. No need to generate SHSH's at all...

As I said, just my opinion...