Saving the environment - NO new MacBook for me...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abernathymusic, Nov 24, 2008.

1. abernathymusic macrumors newbie

Apple's decision to drop Firewire has had an interesting effect on me - to Apple's detriment. I would have rushed out and bought this machine if it had FW. Now I've lost interest in buying ANY new Mac until I'm more clear about Apple's direction. This has helped me evaluate my consumerism/consumption/finances and basically slow down my spending. That's even better for the environment than aluminum and glass!

So this weekend I was hands-on with my first Uni-MacBook, setting it up for a client (I'm a full time Mac consultant). Lack of FW aside, I still don't like this Mac. Apple has gone overboard with form over function/comfort. Worst of all, Steve finally has the razor-sharp palmrest edge he's obviously been craving - yes it is pretty, and it actually hurts to use. Instead of carving out a little finger notch why didn't they just bevel the whole front edge? And with the trackpad positioned so close to the edge you are constantly scraping across the sharp metal. The trackpad takes just enough extra pressure to make it much harder to double-click - working on this Macbook for only an hour made my wrist problems flare up (which doesn't happen on my white MacBook). Also, the screen quality/viewing angle is surprisingly poor - I would assume the display quality is no worse than my old MacBook, but for some reason (the glass or the black surround?) it is more annoying. Couldn't Apple innovate with some kind of low-glare glass - there's something to put some R&D into.

Apple really seems to be focusing on showroom sexiness over usability. What is good about a highly reflective laptop screen, a super sharp palmrest edge, and less expansion (Firewire!)? My old white MacBook feels warm and fuzzy now - I'm taking extra good care of it!

2. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

funny my macbook's edge never bothers me...probably because I type with my wrists up

3. therealdt macrumors regular

While setting this Mac, I hope you kept your comments to yourself. :)

4. abernathymusic thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL! Yes, fortunately this happened in my office without my client, so she didn't hear my grumbling...

5. abernathymusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, but even when my typing form is better I stop often and rest on the palm rest. I think that's why they call it a palm rest!

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Ive owned a white MacBook and this new one, I honestly think the palm rest was WAY sharper on my plastic MacBook..

Just my opinion i guess...

7. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I find that to be strange. The palm rest on my aluminum MacBook is great. I had to put a wrist cover on my old white MacBook to keep it from slicing up my wrists.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

yeah the palm rest on this new one is completely improved and not sharp at all, my old one got on my nerves and was quite sharp. is the OP sure he's not just looking for things to hate? im pretty sure no one has a problem with the sharp edges anymore from what ive heard...

9. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I use my MB in bed alot, and then it get's and angle and I actually have my wrists right on the edge, and it's actually soft :p The old one was alot sharper.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Wow, it's got a mirror for a screen, and a sharp edge in front.

...Before I got my new macbook, I used to have to choose between blogging and shaving before work in the morning. Now, I can do both! Thanks, Macbook!!!

11. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I think the OP is just pissy because he cant get firewire in the new Macs. I've played with my friends new MBP for weeks and never had the sharp palmrest problem. I find the trackpad to be a great addition. Clicks good and no its not hard to click, although the higher u move up on the trackpad, it does get a lil harder. I think you are just looking for things to complain about. As far as viewing angle, it opens more than the previous gen MBP's.

12. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

I think the palm rests are more tolerable on the Aluminum MacBook (or Uni-MacBook as you call it) than my black MacBook.

The black MacBook would often leave marks on my wrists after typing for a while. No marks from the Aluminum MacBook.

13. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

I thought we stopped complaining about firewire over a month ago?

14. nubee macrumors member

Word.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I've just set up 3 new whitebooks, and yes the palmrests are sharp.

My personal whitebook also had the sharp edges when I bought it nearly a year ago. However, within a short while the edges wore down. Now, the palm rest edges are lovely soft and rounded.

I expect the same thing to happen to the new whitebooks, and probably to the new alubook too.

You could always get a bit of cloth (or your sleeve) and rub it across (not along) the edges to get the rounding process off to a fast start.

16. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Wait... is this sarcasm?

I highly doubt that my wrists are going to "round" the edge of my ALUMINUM palm rest. :rolleyes:

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That's why I said I dunno. Check back in a few months.

18. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I guess i'll chalk this up to personal opinion but in all honesty my view of the new aluminum macbook is totally the opposite. first of all i dont need firewire although i do appreciate that some users do need it, both for personal use and proffesional. The edges are a wonderful improvement over the plastic macbooks which i thought were alot sharper and bothered my wrists, with the alum macbook i dont feel a thing. the Trackpad is great i use tap to click which is great and takes no effort, they made it very intuitive so there arent any ghost clicks either.... at leas that has been my experience which is completely the opposite from the OP but like i said i can appreciate someone else's personal opinion so definitely no bashing from me. I dont know your situation but if you can afford it then i would say get the MBP for the FW but you still have to deal with the edges, although since its bigger maybe your wrists will be in a different position.

19. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Beta tapes, floppy discs, HD-DVDs, now firewire. It sucks, but life goes on.

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You can be more original than that. That one has been said on here since the new one came out, over and over and over............again. When I hear people say that I know instantly they have no idea what FW is or what uses it has. That is exactly the type Apple is targeting which is their right.

It is fine you don't use it, but I find it funny how some make smart ass comments to those who actually use their computer for more than internet, chat, and games. You will now list all the things you do that are intensive. Maybe you do, but for many who attack those who bring up FW they don't. That is what is getting old. If someone doesn't like to read about it then don't read the thread.

21. mcnicks macrumors regular

Hell no. I'm just waiting to get my second wind. :eek: :D

22. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I guess i'll chalk this up to personal opinion but in all honesty my view of the new aluminum macbook is totally the opposite. first of all i dont need firewire although i do appreciate that some users do need it, both for personal use and proffesional. The edges are a wonderful improvement over the plastic macbooks which i thought were alot sharper and bothered my wrists, with the alum macbook i dont feel a thing. the Trackpad is great i use tap to click which is great and takes no effort, they made it very intuitive so there arent any ghost clicks either.... at leas that has been my experience which is completely the opposite from the OP but like i said i can appreciate someone else's personal opinion so definitely no bashing from me. I dont know your situation but if you can afford it then i would say get the MBP for the FW but you still have to deal with the edges, although since its bigger maybe your wrists will be in a different position.

23. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You just said exactly that 45 minutes ago on this thread. :rolleyes:

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

No FW is a deal-killer for me as well. I need FW for my TM backup drive. It also happens to be the fastest data transfer around.

25. chargerbaseball macrumors newbie

I think I smell a.................................................. FLAME WAR (FW vs. No FW ) :D:eek::p