Saving the HD2600XT ROM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Infrared, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Some people have noted problems with the ATI HD2600XT update
    (fan noise, etc.). As you are no doubt aware, Apple does not provide
    a method of reversing the update. Enter stage right ATIFlash:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/855/ATIFlash_3.49.html

Does anyone have any experience of using this with Apple cards to
    backup and restore the ROM[1]? Is it possible, dangerous, etc.?

Thanks.

[1] I'm not sure if ROM is quite the name. But you know what I mean.

2. mgsarch macrumors regular

I'm last person to ever suggest something like this, but, if you use the graphics card regularly (which i assume you do) wouldn't it be worth having Apple replace the card since many of us (myself included) have experienced no problems at all like you're suggesting?

Of course it's dangerous to mess the cards firmware. You can potentially screw things up worse and Apple is not likely to be very sympathetic after you've been flashing the card (probably will blame the issues on that).

I will settle for lots of workarounds but if the gfx card was making lots of noise I would call applecare and tell them to send me a replacement. I don't see using a faulty card with a buggier firmware as a good solution, even if it was working better before. We all have the same hardware, I haven't seen what you're talking about being widely complained about (like the FWAudio issues). I usually take that to mean it's probably an issue with your hardware or some REALLY strange thing software you're running is doing.

I've flashed gfx cards in the past and it just doesn't leave you with a good feeling. You always wonder when problems come up because you've added a variable that there's no way (for most of us?) to really understand.

my .02

I feel your pain, i've been in your place and it's never fun having to deal with this stuff. :(

I would call them though, they will probably ship it to you and let you send the old one after you replace it. If they don't want to do that, I would keep asking for someone else until they agree.