Saving to external HD - sometimes it will, sometimes it won't

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cheeseliz, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Cheeseliz macrumors newbie

Obviously, I'm new to Mac to - had it all of three days and still learning as I go. I have received several emails from family with photos in them. Using my Mac's email, I can save them, but they go automatically to my downloads folder. I then want to move them into a photo file I have on a networked server, it won't. I have no problems just copying over the photos to other folders within this same server, however, it won't let me copy the to my "Photos" file on the server. It asks me for my Mac password, then gives the following message:

"One or more items can’t be copied to “Family Photos” because you don’t have permission to read them. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?"

It doesn't matter how I answer that question, nothing happens. What gives?

Also, is there a better way to set up downloads, such that it will ask me where I want to save an item each time I try to save/ download?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hello and welcome and congratulations.

Also more information is needed to further assess your problem.

You obviously run Mac OS X 10.6.2, but on what Mac?
    [​IMG]

What do you mean by "server"? And what OS is it running?
    How do you connect to this "server"? Wirelessly (W-LAN, Airport), LAN (Ethernet cable) or is it just an external drive via USB or Firewire?
    If it is an external drive, what file system (Format) is used? HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) or FAT32 (MS DOS)? You can find out by right clicking on the external drive and selecting Get Info.
    [​IMG]

If it is a server, are you sure that the permissions of the folder are set correctly, so that you can write to it?

In Safari you can only choose the folder to download files to via the Safari Preferences, the same goes for Mail. It doesn't give the option to ask you every time you download where to save it, but that can be solved by right clicking on the object of your desire and selecting "Save as".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Permissions for a file
    [​IMG]

PS: A file is not a folder, but a single object, that contains data like an image, a sound, a video, a text, .... . A folder/directory is like the folder in a file cabinet, it contains several files (sheets of paper).

Apple Basics

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ and http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/