Saving to HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cfs, Jun 30, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hi Everybody,

I am currently putting movies onto my imac via Handbrake using iphone/itouch for the video output.

I am somewhat new to macs. When I am finished putting the movie on my computer and move it over to i-tunes, can I erase the version on my desktop or do I need to keep it? Maybe an easier way of asking is, once I import video to itunes, can I erase it from my desktop or do I need to move it to my movie folder located in my user account?

-cfs

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

it depends how your iTunes is set up... if it's set up to automatically copy imported files to the appropriate directory, then yes, after you import it you can delete the original.

But if it's set up to not copy the files, but to link to the original file, wherever it is, then you can't delete it.

Check in iTunes preferences > advanced and see if the "copy files" button is checked.

3. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. If it is set up to copy files, does this mean that everytime one puts a video in itunes, there are esentially two copies on the system taking up twice the space?

-cfs

4. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

Yes, I believe that that is the case, there are two different files: one in itunes folder, one in wherever you put it first. :)

5. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Yes, hence why it's safe to delete the original version. iTunes is now linking to the copied version.