Saving to .JPG in screenshot capture

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by peterjun, Sep 12, 2007.

1. peterjun macrumors member

Is there a way I can have my screenshots to save as JPG format? Instead of .PNG format.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

There are many ways to do it, but one of the simple ones is to download a program called "Tinkertool" (google it) and in one of it's options you can choose what format you want screenshots saved to.

Oh, and it is also a handy utility to keep.

3. jonnylink macrumors 6502

Not that I know of, but once you've made the screen shot you open it in preview and hit Apple-Shift-S and save it as an jpg file. Not as nice, but I think the reason for using png is the it is lossless while jpg is lossy. And if you have a bunch you could probably use automator to batch convert them pretty easily.

EDIT: looks like I was beat to the punch with a much better answer.
    EDIT 2: After reading Luis' post I remembered that OnyX does this as well and is a great free app.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Can't you just change the name of the extension of the file on your desktop?

5. jonnylink macrumors 6502

No way. The doctype is written in the file itself. If you change the name and it still opens that just means you have a program that ignores the name and looks at the file's data to determine how to display it. Which is good until it makes people think that they are converting files by renaming them.

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Oh I guess that make sense then. I really didn’t think about that one

7. jonnylink macrumors 6502

I feel like I came off like a bit of a jerk there. Sorry for the tone. Because of exploits most programs don't trust names any more. However if you try to open a renamed file in something like Photoshop you'll see the file you renamed to .jpg isn't actually a .jpg

8. JudgeDanny macrumors regular