Saving window positions and sizes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kasakka, Dec 9, 2009.

1. kasakka macrumors 68000

I work with different resolution monitors at work and home. 22" 1920x1200 at work and 30" 2560x1600 at home. The problem is that OSX tends to throw the windows out of place on the 30" (connected via mini-DP to Displayport cable on my MBP 13") or resizes them to the 1280x800 size of the internal monitor after waking from sleep when connecting the 30" display at home.

Is there any program that would save and restore the window positions and sizes so I wouldn't have to rearrange them all the time?

2. rgrwatson85 macrumors newbie

I am completely new to the Mac OS, I don't even actually have one yet. Well I did, but long story. I was reading up a bit on Apple Script and if your willing to invest maybe an hour or so you could probably solve your problem. I found this intro to Apple Script which shows how to do exactly what you want...I think.

http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/firsttutorial/index.html

If that isn't what you are looking for then I apologize.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It would be good of you to point out exactly where on that site you think the OP's goal is explained.

4. rgrwatson85 macrumors newbie

Well I would recommend reading all the way through the short tutorial because it is interesting, easy, and makes the user that much better with their computer. Check out the section called "The Position Property".

Like I said I don't even have my Mac yet, but I like to be prepared and know what I am doing with computers. If you made a super simple script like what they explain you should be able to run it and it will resize it all for you.

Let us know if it works for you kasakka!

5. kasakka thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for this, didn't even think of using Applescript. It was pretty easy to figure out. I ended up centering my Firefox window based on resolution and FF window size and then setting the positions and sizes of my other "always open" apps to what I want.

It's of course hardly ideal should I decide to change the sizes and positions from the presets I did, I suppose you could make an Applescript that stores them somewhere but right now I have no need for that.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ah ha! You're dealing with Application windows, not Finder windows. I was wondering, since you didn't make that clear. Of course, most applications will remember their last window size and position. But your problem is translating that to another monitor with different resolutions, and you are correct to be wary of changing it "on the fly".

Now, applying this to Finder windows... that drives me nuts! I much prefer the old Finder that remembered the size and position of every window.