Saving Windows Fileserver Location In The Sidebar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steiney, Jan 21, 2011.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All,

There is a Windows server at work that I connect to. Every time I want to view it I have to make Finder the front application, then hit "Command-K" to bring up the server connect menu, and "Enter" to connect to the server. Then I have to wait about 15 seconds for it to connect to the server.

What I would like to do is be able to save the Windows server location in the sidebar, so that when I want to view it, I can just click on the shortcut in the sidebar, and it will just bring up the server, or at least cut out the "Command-K" and "Enter".

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this work, I would love to hear them. I have tried the obvious dragging the folder on the sidebar, but it wouldn't create a shortcut. My guess is that it just can't be done. Or, I'm hoping that there's some small app out there that enables this that I haven't heard of.

Thanks in advance!

steiney

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try dragging it to the Finder toolbar?

3. steiney, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I didn't but that's a good idea. Have you had specific experience with this, or do you just think it would work? I've definitely dragged regular folders to it. I had actually forgotten about the feature.

I'll have to try it tomorrow. I'll let you know whether or not it works.

I actually just thought of another question, but it might be more of a question for my IT guy. I just want to be able to connect to the server from outside the network. I log in at work by entering the local IP and "/fileserver". I'm not sure what to do to get to it from outside. I don't have very much experience with networking, but I'm assuming it involves authentication.

Thanks, by the way!

4. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried putting the folder in the finder toolbar, but it wouldn't stick. I don't think it is meant to be. Oh well. Thank you for your help, though.

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried it again later, and it worked. I don't know what I did differently, but I now can put a little icon in the toolbar, although it only stays there until the drive is disconnected. Then it turns into a question mark. That's still better than nothing.