Savings app purchases - iTunes or iCloud?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rsg1010, Jan 30, 2014.

1. rsg1010 macrumors member

I am trying to figure out how to maximize my storage space on my computer.

I currently have a iPhone and iPad and when I sync to iTunes...I notice it has a apps folder that contains every one of my app purchases. This takes up a lot of space on my computer. If i save to iCloud instead...will it save my app purchases there so I can just use iTunes to transfer my music, photos, and videos instead.

I'm just trying to save space by not having all my apps saved in my computer.

2. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

In iTunes under preferences you can tick auto download of apps, just disable this. Also, set you iPhone to backup to iCloud only by in ticking the backup to this computer on the sync menu.

I have a 2TB external drive with my iTunes library on it so space isn't and issue. But in the past this is what I have done.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You don't need to keep apps on your hard drive, though it must be a pretty small or crowded drive for apps of the typical size we see on iOS to be a problem.

After you purchase an app in the App Store (both free apps and paid apps are "purchased") you are free to re-download it from the App Store at any time. This really has nothing to do with iCloud - it's been this way long before there was an iCloud.

If you delete it from your phone, you can put it back on the phone, without ever connecting your iPhone to your computer.

On your iPhone, open App Store, select the Updates icon in the lower right, and then tap on Purchased in the Purchased screen. It will show you all the apps that you've previously purchased (well, those that are still available in the App Store). If it has a cloud-with-down-arrow icon next to it, that means it's not on your iPhone, but is available for you to download. Tap that icon to download it.