Saw a DJ using a MacBook Pro at the Supermarket today

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr. Dee, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

I am embarking on my journey to the Mac this year, haven't bought one yet, but will do so later this year. I am at about 94% savings towards the purchase (which includes the Mac itself, iPad and iPhone - unlocked). My vacation leave has also been approved, so things are looking in the right direction. Personally though, although I saw a MacBook Pro at the supermarket, I am really gonna be purchasing the iMac.

Anyway, back to the topic, I entered the supermarket to the sound of a DJ playing music on his MacBook Pro (15 inch) using the Serato DJ app. I didn't check it out immediately, because I really wanted to get the shopping out of the way, but when I finished up, I went to check it out.

Macs are not popular here, well, not amongst the average computer user who gets by with a decent Windows based notebook, in fact, I see more Windows 8 notebooks these days than even Windows 7 systems it seems. The Mac though is definitely the choice of DJs, professional local musicians and quite a number of local celebs and influential people in the media.

While checking out the MacBook Pro I paid careful attention to the display, I wanted to check out the resolution in system preferences to see what it was set to, obviously, it was the standard configuration, since it was not Hi-Res, I would know this by the bezel.

The interesting thing is, the quality of the display, it was super bright and crisp! Obviously it was no Retina, since it said MB Pro at the bottom of the bezel.

Now, the question I want to ask based on this short inspection, if the display is so great already on the conventional MB Pro, what seriously separates the Retina from it so much? Because, I could hardly see any pixelated image on it, the text looked smooth, images and all even with my eyes all the way up to the screen.

Of course, its not thin like Retina, but it looks just as sleek and great.

The thing is, when I look at the conventional MB Pro, I have to honestly say, I really don't see the significant value of the Retina over it. Of course, I have never seen the Retina in person so that would make me a bit naïve on the topic, but based on the attributes that are suppose to separate it from the conventional model, it doesn't seem like a wide enough margin.

What I am saying is, I think, if Apple had not created the Retina, the majority of users would have been just fine with the conventional MB Pro anyway.

Thoughts? Lets have a civilized discussion on the matter, please?

2. leman macrumors 604

You know, you get used to good things ;) Anyway, the difference between the retina display and the normal MBP display is just as big as the difference between the cheap laptop display and the normal MBP one. Its not just the resolution, its also IPS vs TN. There are plenty of Windows laptops with great displays as well, though.

P.S. And the display on the MBP is not great. Given the ridiculous price tag of the laptop, the resolution is way too low and its also a TN panel. It should be at least a 1680x1050 IPS panel for the money you are paying.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If retina jerks you chain thats great if it's doesn't thats great too. I don't anything superspendiforus about it so I won't buy one.

4. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

All marketing and all fun for them because it is easy to get people to buy anything!

You went right up to the screen? Are you far sighted? If so you wouldn't be able to tell. I'm near sighted so at a certain distance too close to the display and I can really see the difference. I would go in close to read text and view images on the 11" and 13" airs for instance and then go to the 13" and 15" mbps, finally to the 13" and 15" retina MacBooks, and conclude that the 11" and 13" airs are completely inferior, they should have been the first to receive the retina displays in my humble opinion. The 15"MBP was really bad but the hi-res build to order was just okay. The 17" MBP had the best screen. The retina 13" MB is just superb. If they wanted a large screen for retina I just wish they would have jump to 17"MBP.

Business strategy wise, if they done up all the smaller Mac notebooks when they released the eyefone 5, they would have made a tremendous profit to put towards the 17"MBP. Since they weren't "selling so well" that could have been a premium build to order that the company could have really profited from since they hadn't refreshed that beast.

The retina technology makes so much sense on the eyeOS devices and for the smaller mac notebook lines.

For me personally the 15" rMB was their way of saying "duh, we did it, we really did it boys..." so? NEXT! HAHAHAH! Get on with it, push out the real beauty then common 'boys'. Give this fangurl her 17" MBP redesign / refresh already. ^_^

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think if you actually use a MacBook Pro for an extended amount of time as your own machine, you would actually notice the difference between that and Retina.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

There's the problem in a nutshell. You have to see the Retina in person to validate any comparison you make with the standard display. Otherwise you'll just be getting someone else's potentially wrong opinion.

7. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Alot of people cannot see the difference between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3/4. So it's not really major. However once you start using an iPad 3 for a few months and then start to use an iPad 2, then you notice the difference. Same would be true for the rMBP.

There is imo no significant value. Better invest in external display(s) (I work with multiple external displays and a 15" laptop display can't rival it, not a chance)

8. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

words dont do the retina justice, you need to see both displays in person

9. Mr. Dee thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Ok, when I travel to the states later this year, I will make it a point of duty when I go to the Apple store to spend at least 30 mins each with the cMBP and rMBP to make a genuine judgment.

Personally, I do intend to buy a Retina MacBook Pro (because obviously I like having the best). The thing is, my planned purchases for this year will knock me out a bit, so I will have to build up my reserves. :D

Also, I will wait until the 3rd generation of the Retina MacBook Pro with Broadwell processors. I think its still a product that's going through its infancy and needs to be matured more. Not to mention, I have quite a decent Windows laptop right now and I hope to make the iPad be the key mobile device I use most of the time at work and home in 2014 along with my iPhone.

Other things I am looking forward to in the 3rd gen rMBP is DD4 RAM which is expected to provide better energy efficiency and focuses performance on mobile devices such as Tablets and Notebook. In addition to that any mobile GPU by then should power the rMBP with ease, USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 2.0 standard.

10. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Lol. You and your 17s. You're hilarious. Give this girl her 17" 4k machine Apple! She's not going to even give the 15 a 'real' shot!

We've discussed this a couple of times already so I won't elaborate....but as an almost decade long user of 17s only and current owner of two 2011-17" models...I did give the 15" rMBP a shot last fall. Fell head over heals for it after a month's use and bought another for my wife. We use the 17s still for lighting control but the rMBP is/are both of our go to machines. Best I've ever owned. They're fantastic and impossible to tell the difference when looking at Serato (I use the same program). It's not a 'detail' application. Text, surfing, email and the App Store...very obvious differences. Then photography and video...extraordinary differences. And not just the resolution but the color accuracy. Contrast. Whites and viewing angles....as well as its host of I/O options with two thunderbolt ports , two USB 3, HDMI and SD card slot...in a four pound package with 7 hours of battery life with incredible 'sound' for internal laptop speakers...I'm sorry vPro, you're just going to have to give it up someday. I know I'll miss my 17s....but not like before. With the ability to utilize 1920x1200 on the 15"...the incredible clarity of text and limitless opportunities for developers to take advantage of those extra pixels within their software while providing a crisp UI...HiDPI is the future...and it's an exciting one. For me, it's as big a jump as SD in the living room was to HD. There is no comparison

J

11. vpro, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013

vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Thanks for the shout out! ^_^

I really have given the 15"rMB a good go at it. I have produced many remix albums already with it, along with many graphics design projects and other merch items for my musical fans. I have done a lot on it beside my beauty the 17"MBP, we were kind enough to adopt the 15"rMB into our lives and work, pleasure and pride, but eventually I just came to appreciate the massive amount of work I have been able to accomplish on the 17" beast and having maxed out the user upgradeable parts, I relish in the joy even more than ever with that monster. So it was meant for just a season with the r-MB, I was a little sad to see him go to a new owner, but the guy was really stoked about the deal I gave him and it worked out great cos I was able to immediately adopt the 13"rMBP, which is just as awesome as the 15"rMB but I really came to LOVE the intimacy of using it right away, it felt like such a personal computer and it really is.

Using the 15"rMB always made me feel uneasy, it wasn't really small enough to be a personal experience and it wasn't big enough to feel like getting a lot done. It is one of those things, I like to have two or three of certain things to fulfill all my desires and needs.

Thank you ! I gifted you a +1 ^_^

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

You ought to hurry up. Rumors are that the cMBP may meet its maker soon :D

13. leman macrumors 604

Its great when people live in their own little world... :rolleyes:

14. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Thanks for recognizing, holla, come back soon ya? You are not in your own world at all with all that attitude huh? Nice one buddy.