Saw the MacBook in person today!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kupkakez, Apr 10, 2015.

1. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

It is beautiful! Very lightweight. The keyboard will take some getting used to! I was ready to pull the trigger but they had no in store stock. They were really pushing the online ordering.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

3. kupkakez thread starter macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I had written this baby off but now I'm really thinking of ordering one!!

4. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

I'm still a bit unsure about the performance, but it's so tempting!! :mad:

5. jarofclay73 macrumors regular

jarofclay73

6. mikeydooodie macrumors member

me too, like do i really need retina right now??

7. djbuu macrumors member

What are you good my to use it for? That's a more important question.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Everyone does.

9. udflyer macrumors regular

I saw the Macbook as well, actually seemed peppy.

I wanted them to download Xcode so I could get a feel and they would not do it :(

Ordered the gold model, comes in 3-4 weeks.

I should have ordered it at 3am with my watch and I would have had it next week....

10. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Not the Gold, it was backordered really fast.

11. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

I ordered a gold base model, delivers to my front door 16th-20th.

12. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I was told by the Apple Employees at the Apple Store that Apple was holding out until the 24th.

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

The watch or the mbr?

14. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

rMB. I asked repeatedly several different employees all told me the same thing. I hope they are wrong and I get mine earlier but that's what they said. :confused:

15. ct1211 macrumors 6502

Why are you unsure about the performance? You know the performance. Its a web browser that will handle word processing and spreadsheets just fine. Under load it will stagger and stutter and get warm. it will stop, shudder and stall. Why do people keep asking over and over again "will it handle photoshop? Parallels? 4K video to five monitors? No! To that I say, so what? you'll still buy it so stop worrying and whip out your charge card! I just took delivery of a maxed out 13" rMBP last week and I know this first generation MB is a toy - I still ordered one all f'in $1,700 for a toy. Its a cool toy for us crazy geeks. YOLO!

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Wow.. sorry to hear. Thats not very good if they hold out.. hope you get it sooner!

17. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

They obviously want people to buy online.

18. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I ordered Gold for my wife and Daughter at 3am. It still looks like May. They don't care, the gold is a fashion accessory that they are willing to wait for!

19. bmms8 macrumors 68020

This has nothing to do with selling online. Im not sure why they dont have enough stock to "sell online" and get the laptop by monday or tuesday.

20. SusanK macrumors 68000

I wonder why? It always fun to go to the store to buy.

21. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

You can go to the Apple store and buy, you'll just have to wait a few weeks.

22. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Kind of defeats the point of ordering online. You have to wait a few weeks either way.

23. Dante Rising, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

Dante Rising macrumors newbie

I had a chance to check out all three at the Naperville store. A few impressions:

-I was surprised by how classy the gold version looks in person, especially the outer shell. I ordered the space gray version, but it almost looks drab next to the other two colors, as it is a matte finish and the black keyboard blends in with it much more than the other two colors. Also, the trackpad on the silver and gold versions are a shade or two different than the casing, so they have a slightly more two-tone appearance on the keyboard area. The space gray trackpad matches the casing more closely than the other two.

-I opened up youtube in 10 different tabs, and had it playing videos on each tab. There was no slowdown.

-The build quality of these units was exactly what you would expect from Apple. It definitely is a quality piece of engineering.

-The speakers were louder than expected. They are significantly louder than the ones in my girlfriend's 2013 MacBook Air 11".

-no issues with the keyboard, but it is very shallow.

-UI response time was excellent, and I saw no lag while navigating the OS.

-The system boots up in 6 seconds.

-The screen seems dimmer than the one used in the MacBook Pro line. i Use my MacBook Pro daily, and the first thing I attempted to do on the new Macbook was increase the brightness to what I felt matched my normal experience at home. I was surprised to discover it was already maxed out. There were no Macbrook Pros next to the Macbook, so I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison, but the Ipad Air next to the Macbook was visibly brighter when both were set to max.

I think the naysayers will be wrong about this laptop. The type of customer this laptop was built for will be very pleased with it.

24. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

As I said, mine is being delivered to my house between the 16th-20th, So I may not even have to wait a week let alone weeks. All depends where you are and what you want. Apple loves taking people's money, I seriously doubt they are intentionally trying to screw people by making them wait. We knew for a month there would be a limited supply of MacBooks and Watches at launch. Shouldn't be a surprise.

25. xPad macrumors regular

They ask because they want facts, not conjecture.

Do you really think it's going to start hanging and stalling under load? There's no indication that that will happen. Though it's almost certain to throttle over time, the unknown is to what extent, and how much of a noticeable impact it will have.