Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EMU1337

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
So its official, there will be a Saw V & VI. I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a little ridiculous, I mean I always thought to make a trilogy, the series had to be good, with a great plot, but six is unbelievable for such a terrible movie series. I'll say the first one was pretty decent, nothing super special, but every other one hasn't been worth watching in my opinion. I wish for a change there would be a good horror movie worth watching, instead it appears that in today's society if you make your movie really gory, and hype it up to be really gory, and all you have is gore in the movie with no plot then you get a bunch of people to come to the theaters and they will all leave a little disappointed. But I guess all horror movie producers care about is making money and not about good stories anymore. I'm curious to see the ratio of people that go to theaters to see the horror movies and the dvd sales of the same movie. I'm just guessing but I bet its lopsided. Is anyone else seeing this trend? I would like movies to creep/scare the s#!+ out of me again and mean something like The Shining.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Urgh, waste of space, I'll admit saw 1 and 2 were ok, 3 was a bit, boring, couldn't be bothered to watch 4, I think the same will happen for 5 and 6 :rolleyes:

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I have only seen Saw 1 and I found it to be rather decent. The ending made the movie for me, probably for most. It just seemed to me to be a kind of movie that wouldn't do as well the second time around. I could be wrong and please let me know if I am :p

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
The most ridiculous thing is that people wanted more after seeing the first one. It turns my stomach the sorts of things some people find entertaining...

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I mean I always thought to make a trilogy, the series had to be good, with a great plot, but six is unbelievable for such a terrible movie series.

Friday the 13th... cough... Nightmare on Elm Street... cough... Jaws... cough... Halloween...

Saw is just another in the long line of inexpensively produced, highly profitable horror franchises that routinely release a film around Halloween and make a killing in merchandising and box office.

It's nothing new, it's just this generation's slasher flick.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea I spotted this on Wikipedia a few days back after watching Saw IV (well I say "watching").

I like the films! Or I used to. I hate horror and I hate violence - I always look away during bloody moments. But I suppose it's like going on a rollercoaster in that you do it to get thrilled and excited rather than "to ride a really fast train up and down hills".

Loved 1. Thought 2 was okay. 3 was good. 4 was dire. The final twist bit really let me down.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I pretty much share EMU1337's feelings about the "Saw" movies. Best thing about them is that they serve as a great straight line for jokes:

Did you see "Saw"?

No, but I teeter-tottered.
Anyway. Frankly, I found the whole "Cube" series to be along the same lines, but more imaginative.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I find these movies boring as hell, personally.

Then again, its Hollywood, so anything that makes money they'll milk the cow until its completely dry.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
So can someone clearly explain to me what the heck happened at the end of Saw IV?

I realize it was supposed to be taking place during the same timeline as the last film, but I really don't get what was going on with the autopsy room and the audio tape and stuff.

A brief summary would be much appreciated.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i think ive only seen the second or first one. i was unimpressed. trilogies are much overdone these days with little thought put into them.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I for one am damn excited. I love the series. I can't wait for V this Halloween.:D

What is the appeal of these movies? I'm asking because I don't understand the voyeuristic urge to watch a story of innocent people being tortured and killed for the pleasure of a sadistic psychopath. Is it the "special effects"? Is it a vicarious thrill? Is the gratuitous nude scene(s)?

Z6128

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
What is the appeal of these movies? I'm asking because I don't understand the voyeuristic urge to watch a story of innocent people being tortured and killed for the pleasure of a sadistic psychopath. Is it the "special effects"? Is it a vicarious thrill? Is the gratuitous nude scene(s)?

Many of the victims in the Saw films are guilty of something, rape, murder, etc. In a way, it comes down to the "victims" getting what they truly deserve, IMO.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Many of the victims in the Saw films are guilty of something, rape, murder, etc. In a way, it comes down to the "victims" getting what they truly deserve, IMO.

what did the female cop do in saw 3?

Z6128

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
New Jersey
most of the victims deserve what they get, but not all. i was trying to make a point in that the saw franchise is not a typical horror movie where people are randomly killed for no reason. yes, there were a few instances where innocent cops were killed from the traps, but the majority of people who died were guilty of something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.