sawtooth

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by chris200x9, Apr 24, 2007.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

3. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

5. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Hold on there, let me get a say. :p

Radeon 9800 Pro, the best. Careful not to upgrade too much, you might regret it.

7. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

question guys am I crazy? I want to buy and build a sawtooth with dual 1.6 processors, an ati 9800 card, 704 of ram (to start) a 80 gb hdd, and a usb 2.0 pci card. I figured it out and this will cost me 1,245 dollars....my question is am I crazy and should I just get a 17 inch imac?.......see the reason is I want to have something and be like "hell yeah! I built that!" but is this goal even a good idea....and plus i dont like the all in one that much :p

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Get the iMac.

Seriously, It is only worth adding subtle upgrades, for example Harddrives to use the machine as a file server, which is what i'm doing to save from the clutter of external harddrives.

It is not cost effective.

Edit: If you don't like the all-in-one design, put your money towards a PowerMac G5 and upgrade that. It will last you way longer than an upgraded G4.

What will you use the machine for?

Rich.

9. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mainly word processing maybe imovie if i ever get time civ 4 (hopefully) thats about it, maybe give it to my parents because I'm cool like that. see with the imac I think it all comes down to the fact that I really can't save money, it always burns a whole in my pocket and I won't get all the money right away, so I like the g4 cuz i can buy it have something to show far it and then upgrade as I get money.

I don't know what I will do, I want the g4, but i know I SHOULD get an imac.

also I have no job so it would take me like a year to save up for the imac, the g4 i can get here now and upgrade as I get money....also it would only be the 17 inch imac with the g4 it would be a 19 in monitor.....and a summer project would be fun......also it's easier to take pride in something you built (mostly) yourself rather than somethin you just bought.

will the g4 perform these functions?

10. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

I really think you should save the money. If you can't save money you should learn now, and make a goal for yourself (for example saving for a new iMac or MacBook, which will perform your tasks with ease, for much longer).

Honestly, it is really not good to just spend money for the sake of it.

I think you will find more pride in saving longer for something as beautiful as the iMac or MacBook, than ploughing money you might have now into old technology.

Rich.

11. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes I know about five minutes after I posted that I realized how stupid I was being :eek:

12. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yes you are crazy, and no don't get the imac. :eek:

buy an older g5 tower. single/dual 1.8 would be way less than your budget, is really easy to upgrade, and would kick the crap out of the g4.

build a pc with the money you saved if you really want to snap parts together.

or intel mini, upgrade the ram/cpu, do the external sata hack, and still spend less than the g4 if you have a thing for dremels...