Say Bye bye to unlimited 3G data plan on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icanhasiphone?, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Kibbe17 macrumors member

Wow that's ridiculous. So much for apples "Break through deal with ATT" ALTHOUGH existing unlimited members can continue using and it doesn't go into affect until the 7th so this serves as a last chance warning to anyone who hasn't signed up yet. Get it while you still can!

On the other hand.. I have the unlimited service and so far I have only used around 300 mb with my month ending in about a week. So maybe it would be worth it for me to cut down and save 5 bucks If I'm not going to go over 2 gigs anyway..

Although I wonder if we would be able to re activate the unlimited later on (probably not) because I know if I went on vactation or any trip anywhere I would want unlimited due to the fact of soully using 3G..

All in all this is a HUGE rip off and I really cant wait to see how apple reacts.. This could be a stab at them for releasing a verizon iPhone in a few weeks time. *GASP*

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

AT&T royally sucks. You can bet that if you cancel your unlimited later, it won't work for re-sign-ups.

I can't wait to get rid of AT&T. I really can't. Worst network I've ever used. Dropped calls, outrageous pricing, and now this nonsense.. Just. Ugh!

3. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

I wonder if this means that AT&T's exclusivity is over on the 7th - all contracts out the window!

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

They certainly don't waste any time stabbing everyone in the back.

It's impressive seeing such an entity completely unhampered by ethics and
    loyalties.

those things can be so damaging to the bottom line.
    :rolleyes:

I'm just amazed that they are waiting until the 7th instead of doing it now while everyone is asleep.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm sooooooo not happy about this, not at all. We did over 2gb without working at it, and with what I'm going to be using I need to be grandfathered.

Ugh.

I can only hope they really do extend it until the 7th because I can't renew until the 5th OR that Apple gets to put their foot down. Heck, what about all those people waiting for their devices that aren't going to get the chain to get the promised plan? They ordered from apple based on one price/plan.....

Gee, I really do hate AT&T.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I only have a Wi-Fi model, but had I gotten a 3G I would have been really ticked with this decision. The data plans were a big selling point for the 3G model.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Engadget has mre info, it matches their new smartphone plans. No more unlimited for the iPhone either. Same pricing structure.

8. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Well after taking a few minutes to not get all wound up here is a realistic look at my situation:

2 iPhone's
    1 iPad, soon to be 2 iPad's

So I'm looking at $120 a month for unlimited data on all 4 although my wife's we could probably get away with the 250.

With the new 'plan' and it does say existing CUSTOMERS keep their current plan, so even upgrading your an existing customer from what I read.

With the new setup $90 a month from $120 if I setup the Pro plan with tethering, 45 for each iPhone, drop the plan on the iPad and tether to the iPhone. I get the added bonus of tethering the Macbook and more importantly for me a backup now exists in case my connection goes out at the house.

I'd have to use 5gb per month on one device to see $120. There is no way my wife will use 2gb mostly because we work out of our house and when we're out working its together.

My bigger issue is I paid Apple $130 more for a 3G iPad and now find I don't need one if I can tether a 4G iPhone.

If this all turns out to be the case my iPad will be going back to Apple for a Wi-Fi. I've got until the 16th of June for my 30 days and I'd bet Apple will have a whole slew of people who can work a calculator wanting to return theres also.

I am half way through my month and I've used 442mb of data. I consider myself to be a heavy user of data, I'm in Jump Desktop at least 1 hour per day, I use it to surf at lunch and dinner. I do 80 percent of my email from it.

So to me this is a good thing which could save $30 a month, I have no use for watching video or anything like that over 3G nor do I care to.

My iPhone data useage has dropped to nearly nothing since getting the iPad since I generally carry around both devices.

Now I can take back my current iPad, get the wife a wifi and save $260 for a total first year savings of $620.

9. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

There are lots if people still ordering the iPad on the premise they can get the unlimited plan for 29.99. They are ordering before June 7 but will receive it after the cut off.

Apple's iPad site still shows the old plan. They have to consider that selling point plus lag time for arriving.

Remember at&t has made announcements in the past then retracted because they didn't think things through. Watch, you'll see that happen again. 5 days is not enough notice.

What if you just prepaid $15 for 250mb, can you upgrade immediately to unlimited or are you locked out???

10. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

It is my understanding that if you are on the iPad unlimited plan before June 7th you are grandfathered in and can remain on the unlimited plan.

I just upgraded now from the 250 mb plan...which I had planned to do anyway.

This actually works for me. I will drop my iPhone down to the 200mb plan and save money there since I basically only use my iPhone for calls and texting since getting my 3G iPad.

Steve

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

THIS IS GREAT NEWS!

Less people clogging the bandwidth leave more for ME!:D

Too many people downloading movies when it could be done via WiFi at home. Just becasue it CAN be done does not mean it SHOULD be done.

Long live AT&T!:apple:

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im not american, nor do i use AT&T - but we have a similar company over here in australia, called Telstra. i really do feel everybodies pain.

we pay $20 for 1GB of 'NextG' 3G data. it is HORRIBLE but quite fast and reliable.

i think that the internet should be free for all, regardless of wifi/3G. meh, ill keep dreaming.

14. MarkNH macrumors newbie

Some opportunistic lawyer will be along with a class action suit soon - Apple/AT&T sold the 3G iPad with the promise of signing up for a $30 unlimited plan whenever you needed it, but now to get that plan you need to be grandfathered in and keep the plan going continuously. Classic bait & switch.

End result will be AT&T settling out of court, the lawyer will get millions in "reasonable fees" (paid for by us) and users who previously signed up for the $30 plan will get a couple of bucks each.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you think so? no chance of the users getting their unlimited plans?

16. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Now Rogers offers better plans than AT&T does in the US for Canadians.

Who would've thought? :D :cool:

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I wish all carriers and internet service providers would go to a pay per unit system. This is the only fair way and the way (and no one complains) we pay for gas, water, electricity, soap, coke and just about everything.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I agree that you should pay per MB and not make you buy blocks of MBs so if you go over a single bit you have to buy another block.

Whyt not just charge us for what we use!:confused:

19. Star56 macrumors member

The big winners here are those who are using miFi. You can keep your unlimited plan on your iPhone and use jb/miFi for your ipad 3g needs.

The iPhone unlimited package is only if you don't officially tether. If you offically tether you lose the unlimited plan.

20. msduncan macrumors 6502

As soon -- and I mean AS SOON -- as either of these two things happen, AT&T can kiss my business goodbye for good:

1. A Verizon iPhone. If this happens, I'm outta here and to Verizon
    2. No Verizon iPhone but my contract expires in November. I'm outta here and will go with Droid just to get away from AT&T sucky coverage and BS business practices. I LOVE my iphone, but my hatred for how crappy ATT is overrules it.

I'm glad I went with a WiFi iPad now.

21. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

No bait and switch because there was no contract...this was month to month and clearly outlined in the monthly TOS terms.

In fact, many of us predicted this would happen a month ago on these very forums.

If you want to vent your anger, target the MiWi-using crowd. There's a reason this is targeted at iPhone users too. It also likely foreshadows tethering release.

22. Safari King macrumors member

Agreed... Now if I used MiWi, I would be VERY careful, as ATT will now be watching data consumption like a hawk, and if you are not on a tethering plan, you will surely be surprised when you get your monthly bill... Verizon doesn't have the number of data users on their network. As soon as a bunch of ATT defectors leave and go to Verizon, they will experience the same fate...

I'm not an ATT fanboy, just realistic and understand the logic of why ATT is doing this...

23. btrav13 macrumors 6502

You know, it really doesn't surprise me. So what happened to all those people who said that ATT was keeping exclusivity on the iPhone and used the "$30/unlimited data on the iPad" as their reasoning? What's the reason now? Face it, iPhone exclusivity is on it's deathbed and taking very shallow breaths at this point.

Glad I bought the WIFI only model...I have other modes of getting online when I'm not around WIFI and I certainly was not going to pay ATT one single penny of my money. Come on CDMA iPhone!!!!

24. Star56 macrumors member

I think you may be right. I use mifi but I am thinking that I may opt for the unlimited iPad deal before the 7th. I need 3g and I stream audio a lot when I am in my car.