Say goodbye to our lockscreen desires??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    One of the frequently discussed features that is wanted for iOS is adding a little more functionality to the lockscreen. Whether it be widgets, more detailed notifications, calendar events, etc.

Do you think the smart cover means that Apple has closed the door on those possibilities? Why would they design a cover so perfectly for the iPad 2, with the one of the main functionalities being to get rid of the lockscreen view entirely.

What do you think? I mean there is still the iPhone.. or people without smart covers (but Apple wants to imagine that everyone buys their accessories..)

2. J Griz 757 macrumors regular

J Griz 757

Imho, I think the smart cover means absolutely nothing in reference to what may be up Apple's sleeve, in reference to more possible lock screen options in the future.

3. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

You make a very valid point. I hope you are wrong because I would love for apple to implement a notifications widget option for the lock screen.:(

4. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

I hope you are right. If for no other reason, because of the iPhone.

But knowing Apple we will have a smart cover for the iPhone 5, and Apple will pretend like the lockscreen view doesn't exist...

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Even if they do add lock screen widgets, presumably you will still need to unlock the device to interact with them and/or you will be able to view these widgets outside of the lock screen. The Smart Cover will still work fine.

It's also not like they can't change the effect of opening the smart cover, i.e. "bring up the notification screen" instead of "unlock and show the home screen."

6. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

If you want to see the lock screen, you have the option to leave the lock screen still on when you open the cover.

7. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

good point, OP

then again, the iPhone won't recieve a smart cover ... no way that'll stay on when you slide it into and out of your pocket on a regular basis.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) Smart Cover on the iPhone, or any pocket device, makes zero sense. I can see Apple jumping that shark. Maybe a Smart Case but BB has had that for years. Nothing new there.

2) A look at the Smart Cases inventory @ the Apple Store and others gives me the impression that Apple can imagine, but reality is otherwise.

3) Smart Cases are not mandatory. If you don't like that it bypasses the lock screen get a non-magnetized cases or use it naked w/ a screen protector.

9. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

besides, there already is an Apple branded iPhone case. it's called the bumper :p

the Smart cover is meant to protect the screen from scratches and dust, yet doesn't provide any shock absorbance.

10. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah I was kidding about the iPhone smart cover. i forgot to use the :p