Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
I have designed and made this for my product design gcse. The apple logo and wheel's were engraved using a co2 laser machine and I cast the aluminium stand myself (took bloody years to file and buff :p). Just thought I'd share it with you guys, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, let me know what you think.
I apologise for the pictures, I was getting frustrated with myself when I realised that since the purchase of a nikon d40 I still don't have the first idea when it comes to photography, I think I owe it to my camera to learn.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I have designed and made this for my product design gcse. The apple logo and wheel's were engraved using a co2 laser machine and I cast the aluminium stand myself (took bloody years to file and buff :p). Just thought I'd share it with you guys, I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, let me know what you think.
I apologise for the pictures, I was getting frustrated with myself when I realised that since the purchase of a nikon d40 I still don't have the first idea when it comes to photography, I think I owe it to my camera to learn.

Wow! Great job, great idea, great design, great concept!

Your pictures are better than mine could ever aspire to be. :eek:

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
Thanks for all the great comments guys :D
Glad you all like it.
Might even print this page off and stick it in my product design folder :D

marykay9507

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
that is very very cool-- i saw that you made it for a class-- about how long did it take you?

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
that is very very cool-- i saw that you made it for a class-- about how long did it take you?

Thanks marykay I would guess somewhere in the region of 30 hours. That includes designing and the lengthy CAD/CAM process. Im sure I could trim that time down second time round.

-------------------

Also, thanks phiberglass:)

EDIT: @ firelord: I would love to make another one. But I rely on schools expensive equipment and I'm not far off leaving now. And I'm sure apples legal team would have somthing to say about it ;-)

wattso

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Chester UK
I can't thank everyone enough for these comments. I am including them all in my folder work so you can all go to bed tonight with the warm feeling that you've helped a 16 year old pass his exams :D

Seriously, thanks everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.