Say hello to the inspiration for the Apple Watch.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mcdj, Jun 21, 2015.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok, there are lots of inspirations, from Braun to Marc Newson's Ikepods, and early touch screen Casios, but have a look at the Omega Marine Chronometer, circa 1974...

[​IMG]

2. rosario1990 macrumors regular

Great idea for the increasing awarenesss for Apple Watch.

3. CharlesShaw, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Thanks for this! The text on that watch looks like the complications on the Apple Watch and I'm impressed by how good they both look. However, I do believe that the Jony/Marc team improved on the crown size, but I guess that's form following function since the 1974 watch didn't need the crown used very often. That link band design looks great then and now.

Damn, I was 14 when that watch was made. A young coworker said my Apple Watch's link bracelet looked "futuristic" so maybe there's a wormhole for futuristic design.

4. Shinigami301, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015

Shinigami301 macrumors regular

Shinigami301

Marvelous find. There are only so many ways to make something that is comfortable on one's wrist. But all fine watches share common elements and this shows it well.

Interestingly that Omega sold for $1750 in 1974- the same as an entry level Edition today, adjusted for inflation.

5. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

That's the ugliest omega I've ever seen.

6. SarZ macrumors regular

SarZ

For 1974 it looks amazing

7. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Maybe for modern style watches. Watch makers were still producing a classic looking round dial then that looked good.

8. rowdt1 macrumors regular

1. Wear this Omega
    2. Fool people into thinking you own an Apple Watch
    3. Make them pay for taking a look at it
    4. PROFIT!

9. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Excellent find! Thanks for the quick history lesson. I love stuff like this - old is new again :)

10. rosario1990 macrumors regular

May be not sure. But will look out.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think the Apple Watch takes a lot of cues from this Ikepod Manatee:

ikepod-manetee.jpg

Of course we already know that it used Newson's 1996 sport band:

newson_sport.png

Even the Ikepod watch container shape and bands in little paper slips are similar:

ikepod_watchcase2.png

Of course, the digital crown was not a new idea. Even the colored dot had been done.

I think the main thing that Jon Ive contributed was this Apple styling cue:

Apple-Watch-original-iPhone.jpg

12. Mac2me, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015

Mac2me macrumors 6502a

That Omega Marine looks like it already has a case protector on it!

I love the design of the Apple sport band and being such close friends (and now co-employees at Apple) clearly Jonny was inspired by Marc's band design when it came time to design one for the Apple Watch. The addition of the adapter built into the band was IMO one of the best design updates for a watch/band. I hate playing with lugs and spring bars and changing bands is just so so easy to do now. And adding removable lugs like on the Classic band and providing the design guidelines for it is one of those things that gives Apple Watch the wide range of looks it has adding to it's appeal. It really frees up people to alternate bands every day although I wonder if they thought people would do that so frequently.

Traditional watches have always had crowns but is this the first time the crown was used to control info screens on the watch like it does? I don't count using the crown to push in to do a function as the same thing.