Say I want to sell my iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gigamaster89, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Gigamaster89 macrumors member

What would I do to restore the iPhone to a clean slate BUT keeping the jailbroken/unlock-ness of it?

Basically I want to keep it unlocked while making sure there is no personal info left on it.

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm pretty sure what you have to do is restore the phone and then reunlock it.

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

You can go into "Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Content and Settings" and it should restore the phone but leave the jailbreak/unlock intact. But I've had poor experiences with this, and it takes almost an hour!! God knows why.

Easiest is to restore the whole thing and rePWN it.

4. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

I want to sell my iPhone.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

5. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

nice

6. Brickhead macrumors newbie

NO!

Erase Content & Settings will Brick your iPhone if it's a 2g - it happened to me. Afterwards you will need to restore and then re-jailbreak and unlock. Do not do unless you know how to do all that for your model.

7. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

"I want to sell my iPhone..."

Ok ok ok, so here's the skinny so to speak. :)

When you sell your iPhone, you should ALWAYS use Erase All Content and Settings. This will obviously erase your whole phone, much like formating a hard drive. The new owner could potentially recover personal data and have their way with you, this greatly reduces the chances of anything being recovered. This will take a while (usually 1-2hrs) because it is writing bits to your iPhone in an attempt to foil any recovery.

You will then need to load firmware on the device. Whether that firmware is jailbroken or not is up to you. Under no circumstances will Erase All Content and Settings brick your phone. :)

8. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

What he said ^^^

I erased, restored, unlocked my 2G before selling it...

Cheers.

-J.-