Say the new ATI cards come out for the mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbplayer5, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Where exactly would you purchase that upgrade? I cant find it anywhere on Apples website for upgrades.

Thanks.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You could always just use teh new ATI card R600 or whatever in windows with botcamp and if it is ever released for mac it could be possible to reflash the firmware to make i work for windows. And if it did come out you could probably buy it directly from ATI.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The mac version will work in windows without a reflash (just as all the other mac graphics cards do). However you could maybe flash a pc version to mac but that isn't always straight forward.

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Whoops, I mixed those up... I meant to say that if the card was ever released for mac you could reflash a PC version to work on OS X because people would be able to extract the firmware and do some fancy hacks:D

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no specific section for upgrades. If you run a search you can find the current 1900 XT as an upgrade kit (if you bought a Mac Pro with the standard card). Just search for Radeon Kit. Any new cards would be similar.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It's possible but the mac cards of old had a bigger bios than there PC counterparts so a simple flash wouldn't work. You'd have to physically remove the bios and place a new one on board.

My friend did this first on the mac cards. If you see any guides online telling you how to do this then they have ripped off his idea and put it down as their own.

7. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

I just really hope this card is released for the mac pro.. it has 5.1 sound built in, DX10 for bootcamp, and has a physics processor built in...

That card will make the mac pro a gaming machine :D

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

As opposed to the 8800GTX that's out now? Now if only apple would support it...

9. TheFuzz macrumors regular

actually, if you click the "display" link on the left, all of the gpu upgrades are there. i think the 1900 is on page 2 or 3.