Says I already have Adobe installed! I dont!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pilotkid, Apr 22, 2009.

1. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. Two days ago I reformatted and did a fresh install of leopard and a time machine restore up to get all my stuff back. Since then I have not been able to view PDF files, also I tried to download a application that requires Adobe Air. I go to Adobe's website and download Adobe Air for Mac's and when I click on it after its downloaded to my desktop to install it it comes up with a warning box saying that I already have it downloaded. I dont! The application that I'm trying to install that requires Adobe Air keeps telling me I need to install it. Yet, I try and Adobe says I already have it installed. I have looked in my applications folder and there is no Adobe anything in there. Any ideas?
    Thanks ahead of time!:confused:

PS. When I did my time machine restore after my fresh reformat and install I did NOT have time machine restore all of my applications. I like to manually install them myself, they seem to have less kinks that way...just a F.Y.I.

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

I haven't used Time Machine myself, but it sounds like when you did the restore it copied your preferences and other settings back into your library folder. That means that Adobe apps think they are installed even though you didn't restore the Applications folder.

As I recall Adobe used to have a general uninstaller on its website that removed all traces of adobe apps from your system.

Either that or you could try sifting through ~/Library and /Library for references to Adobe products.

3. pilotkid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick reply. I did what you said and ANYTHING Adobe I trashed and deleted...When I try to install Adobe Air it says "This version of Adobe Air is already installed". I do a spotlight search and I see nothing!

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think the problem is that you used Time Machine and you thought you deleted all the files but there is something still missing or there is a trace somewhere. This happens for Windows too, I thought I had deleted previous Adobe applications, downloaded Adobe's removal tool and there were quite a few files that I didn't delete.

That's one thing I don't like about Time Machine, you can restore a whole image but you can't access that bundle when you reformat because it thinks it's a new user.

5. funkysamoan macrumors newbie

6. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

check:

1. HD/Users/Library/Adobe/
    2. HD/Users/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework/
    3. Home/Users/Library/Adobe/

7. Kaldama macrumors member

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Really?

9. Burning Radio macrumors regular

Why is this a question?