SB-800 Nikon Flash

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rotary8, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Rotary8 macrumors regular

Most of the time I shoot outdoor pics with my zoom, and indoor ones with my 1.8f 50mm to avoid having to use any Flash. Recently I purchased an SB-800 and haven't a clue what to set on it. If there's a setting which you nikonians use about 80-90% of the time, please share it.

any helpful tips would be much appreciated.

thanks

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Mostly matrix Balanced fill [TTL BL on the display] with about 1.3-2.0 stops of negative exposure compensation, but you'll have to change the comp based on subject distance.

The rest of the time, mine lives in SU4 mode as a flash-triggered slave to act as an additional background light.

3. Rotary8 thread starter macrumors regular

4. termina3 macrumors 65816

2x on the TTL or TTL BL… when I'm working with static objects (studio-like situation) I'll go to manual.

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Just for completeness, I assume you've read the manual and understand it's possible to overshoot and melt the thing if you're in high-speed continuous mode and you blast away- not a big deal unless you're not aware of it- I've never needed to shoot that quickly (heck, I haven't even done the multiple flash mode play stuff yet and I've had mine for years.)

I might have a chance to get mine in the field with a better beamer on it this weekend- it'll feel like a flash again, and not just a convenient background light in the studio! I'm really glad it has SU-4 mode though, it's saved me from needed an additional head in the studio a bunch of times when I've been shooting high key.

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Seriously? I've yet to find a set of AA Batteries that would allow me to pop off that many flashes in a row that quickly.

7. Hmac macrumors 68020

Even with the 5th battery attachment?

8. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

First part of the manual:

Additional manual text (redone to make it readable here):

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I'm talking about 4 standard Duracell batteries... Set to 6/fps, I've never had the flash keep up- even with fresh batteries.

I know you have to be careful with some of the power packs.

10. Jeromie macrumors member

11. Binford macrumors member