Sb-800

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cube, Jul 17, 2010.

1. cube macrumors G5

When will there be a true replacement of the SB-800?

The SB-900 is half the flash it should be. It's no good for me.

2. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

The SB-800 is discontinued and has some important features less than the SB-900.

The SB-900 is bad in terms of compatibility with older cameras.

I don't know if there's any third party flash system that has no drawbacks compared to using Nikon's own.

4. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

Ok, makes sense.

Metz and Sigma have good flashes too, although i have never used them. I always keep my gear the same brand. If something does not work, you don't get the walkaround, blaming the other brand when calling customer support.

However, i think that i read somewhere that Metz and Sigma can be tweaked/upgraded with software, but you'll have to look into that. For what it's worth, i've read more positive experiences with Metz than Sigma.

5. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I know there are good third party flashes, but I doubt any have all the computer integration as Nikon's own. That's why I never look at them.

6. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I don't get why the SB-900 isn't a proper replacement for the SB-800? In the worst case, you can always get a used SB-800 …*

7. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Well, I have the Metz 58 AF1 and it works pretty much perfectly with the wireless ttl with a nikon CLS..

I am really impressed with the features and power of that flash.
    I used to own a Nissin Di866 and while it also did the wireless TTL it didn't quite function as well as the metz...

If you can, test the Metz..

I am contemplating of getting another one.

8. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Because it doesn't properly support D-TTL and cameras older than the F6.

There's at least 2 things missing in the SB-800 that interest me: the 200mm range and the color filter automation.

9. cube thread starter macrumors G5

And I can get a NEW SB-900 for the same price as a used rare SB-800.

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

It depends a lot on how much light you need- if I were to replace my SB800, it'd probably be with a Quantum Q8N, after that, I'd look at Lumedyne and Metz. All three offer Nikon TTL modules, though I'd argue that manual control produces much better results 99% of the time. All three offer significantly more power than the SB800 or even SB900, with tubes that won't overheat with continuous use for hours, faster recycling times and good-sized battery packs.

Paul

11. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Older than the F6? That's really old. If I were in that situation, I'd get a used SB-28(DX) or SB-80DX in addition to an SB-900.

Regarding color filter automation and a 200 mm zoom reflector, you don't really need that. Seriously. Velcro is your friend: buy gel filters, add velcro to your flash and to your gels and presto. If you want a zoom reflector that works up to 200 mm, make a snoot. It's easy.

The SB-900 is really a good flash and from the looks of it, the UI is better, too. Personally, I can't justify upgrading from my SB-600, though ;)

12. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I already have an SB-28 and an SB-80DX. Now I also need the new stuff and want to be able to use it together with the 80DX on some of the old bodies.

The SB-900 allows the newer bodies to be aware of the color filter used, that's what I'm talking about.