SB SS scuffs

Tetevo

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2015
So I had some scuffs on the bottom of my series 2 sb ss from bumping it on some dumbbells and another one on the left side that I don’t know how I got it. Also had a tiny point scratch on the screen, but it went off with some toothpaste rubbing. I wonder if there’s anyway to get them off like the regular ss model. Already tried to rub it off with toothpaste and alcohol, but no results.

Attachments

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
So I had some scuffs on the bottom of my series 2 sb ss from bumping it on some dumbbells and another one on the left side that I don’t know how I got it. Also had a tiny point scratch on the screen, but it went off with some toothpaste rubbing. I wonder if there’s anyway to get them off like the regular ss model. Already tried to rub it off with toothpaste and alcohol, but no results.
I would say your success rate removing the scratches off the stainless casing would be unlikely, because of the diamond like carbon coating. It's very difficult to scratch, but in your case, the damage is likely permanent. As a stainless steel space black Apple Watch owner myself, I have never heard of anyone able to remove the scratches successfully off the casing.

Fireball Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2012
Chigwell, England
I know it won’t help now, but I’d be too scared to lift weights (or put my wrist into close proximty) to anything metal. So take my watch off if I’m gardening, doing DIY, etc. The risk is too high.

Out of curiosity, I know a lot of people wear their AW for strength training, but what are the benefits? (genuine question)

But I hope you manage to somehow get the scuffs off. Would be good to know if hey can be removed.

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
I know it won’t help now, but I’d be too scared to lift weights (or put my wrist into close proximty) to anything metal. So take my watch off if I’m gardening, doing DIY, etc. The risk is too high.

Out of curiosity, I know a lot of people wear their AW for strength training, but what are the benefits? (genuine question)

But I hope you manage to somehow get the scuffs off. Would be good to know if hey can be removed.
Yep that is why I am keeping my S0 watch - to do gardening or 'high risk' activities that may scratch the watch. I'll use my SSSB in the gym, but not if I am doing weights, just the cardio stuff. That is my only reservation about the SBSS, I've had two SS silver watches and always been able to polish out the scuffs.

Beards

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Not much use to the OP and I feel for you but for anyone else I never leave my SS Series 0 naked if I’m doing anything that may damage the coating. Bought a set of different coloured rubber covers for the watch and these protect the watch brilliantly. So much so, I have had mine since launch day first orders and there’s no marks on my watch.

Reactions: BillGates1969

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
I've used my S0 SS when I've been climbing, and it has taken a beating... but i like the scratches / patina. I now have the SBSS, but kinda wish I had gone for the SS again, to carry those road worn scars. I expect the scratches on the SBSS will be horrific when they do occur, but meh, I'm just going to be careful.

On the topic of damage, my S0 SS does have some marks on the screen. I expect these are not as a result of scratches against the wall face when I've been climbing, but rather miniature cracks caused by the impact when I've accidentally smashed it against a hold or the wall. They're minor, and I do have Apple Care on it, so may get it swapped out before that runs out... but then I'll lose all of the patina!

Beards

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
I've used my S0 SS when I've been climbing, and it has taken a beating... but i like the scratches / patina. I now have the SBSS, but kinda wish I had gone for the SS again, to carry those road worn scars. I expect the scratches on the SBSS will be horrific when they do occur, but meh, I'm just going to be careful.

On the topic of damage, my S0 SS does have some marks on the screen. I expect these are not as a result of scratches against the wall face when I've been climbing, but rather miniature cracks caused by the impact when I've accidentally smashed it against a hold or the wall. They're minor, and I do have Apple Care on it, so may get it swapped out before that runs out... but then I'll lose all of the patina!
Apologies OP if I’m drifting Off Topic but to NeonGreenHermit; I’m in a similar predicament. I’m going to upgrade soon from a SS Series 0 to a Series 3.... Unfortunately I can’t get to an Apple Shop to see what the SBSS Series 3 looks like in the flesh. I’m worried I’ll make the same mistake and get the wrong watch. Oh decisions, decisions..... what to do???

BillGates1969

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2008
Bournemouth
Not much use to the OP and I feel for you but for anyone else I never leave my SS Series 0 naked if I’m doing anything that may damage the coating. Bought a set of different coloured rubber covers for the watch and these protect the watch brilliantly. So much so, I have had mine since launch day first orders and there’s no marks on my watch.
New SS SB owner here (always had silver SS), just followed your advice so I can Garden or workout without fear :)

Reactions: Beards

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Apologies OP if I’m drifting Off Topic but to NeonGreenHermit; I’m in a similar predicament. I’m going to upgrade soon from a SS Series 0 to a Series 3.... Unfortunately I can’t get to an Apple Shop to see what the SBSS Series 3 looks like in the flesh. I’m worried I’ll make the same mistake and get the wrong watch. Oh decisions, decisions..... what to do???
The Best way to describe the space black stainless is that it's a glossy black that has a high shine to it. I would compare it to the physical appearance of what the Jet black iPhone 7 look liked in terms of that glossy black, except highly more durable with the diamond like carbon coating.

Reactions: Beards

Beards

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
The Best way to describe the space black stainless is that it's a glossy black that has a high shine to it. I would compare it to the physical appearance of what the Jet black iPhone 7 look liked in terms of that glossy black, except highly more durable with the diamond like carbon coating.
That’ll do me just fine.. Cheers.
[doublepost=1509175438][/doublepost]
New SS SB owner here (always had silver SS), just followed your advice so I can Garden or workout without fear :)
You won’t be disappointed. Just remember to take the watch cover off every now and again and clean.... just in case any garden grit gets trapped. Mine never has but I always clean mine straight after a hard slog in the garden. :)

Reactions: Relentless Power

xRYD3Rx

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Why would you wear that expensive watch to the gym...
I have same exact watch paid $1100-1200 I only wear it when I go out.

Beards

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Because to some people (myself included), we only have the one Apple Watch, so you get the best you can afford and wear it not just as a fashion accessory. We wear it all day to manage our day and our health.... including fitness routines. :)

Reactions: Relentless Power

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
With AC+ and taxes, mine was around $1600 up here.

You baby it for the first few months, then you get over it. I didn't wear the link band when doing gardening/landscaping or anything involving a lot of particulates - simply didn't want to get a lot of grit between the links and have a timely cleanup. That's what the sport bands are amazing for!! :)
Me, I don't worry about the watch. Didn't with my S0, won't with my S3. It's tough as hell. No scratches in 2+ years with the S0.

OP, surprised as all hell at your scratches. Must have been a lot of force to do that. You really don't have any way to remove scratches IN the DLC coating. The only time you can is when they're not actually scratches, but material deposited on top of the DLC coating.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
First off, it's a wearable device that's meant for fitness and health tracking. So it is intended to be worn at the gym. In this case, the dumb bells came into contact with the Apple Watch, which will cause damage.

But everybody will use the Apple Watch differently for different things. But given how the space black stainless has the diamond like carbon coating, it does have a very strong durable finish on it that most have non issues with damage. Depending on environment you're using the watch in, you would want to use good judgment knowingly what could damage it.