Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Currently have SBC DSL web-based and can set up another account on their POP server. I want to use the Mail program and get the same look and feel as Outlook. For $100/yr I can set up an account at .Mac. I know there are some value-add services like storage and file sharing, but are there any other reasons to spend the money for .Mac like speed or reliability?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
You know you don't have to have a .Mac account to use Mail, right?

.Mac is a pretty unexceptional service. It has a little bit of integration with the Mac OS and that's the big selling point. There are other services that are a better value.

bob rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
alex_ant said:
You know you don't have to have a .Mac account to use Mail, right?

.Mac is a pretty unexceptional service. It has a little bit of integration with the Mac OS and that's the big selling point. There are other services that are a better value.

I have always worked off my company's Exchange Server so I'm not sure what my options are. I could get an email address through SBC but didn't know I could tie into Apple without paying for the .Mac service.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
bob rose said:
I have always worked off my company's Exchange Server so I'm not sure what my options are. I could get an email address through SBC but didn't know I could tie into Apple without paying for the .Mac service.
You can add any number of POP3 & IMAP accounts into Mail free of charge. Accouts from an Exchange server usually work 50/50 with Mail. If you have Entourage, this will be seamless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.