SBOD and sluggish, stuttering OS X graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pianoman1a, May 6, 2009.

1. Pianoman1a macrumors newbie

First, the system: 15" Unibody MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Ram, OS 10.5.6, Build 9G55. Purchased in October.

I have sluggishness and stuttering graphics when I do things like invoke Expose to show all windows. The problem is most visible in the graphics, but it causes apps to stop taking input, and even the SBOD. My problem happens even if I only have a few apps open. It is not consistent, but no matter when it happens, looking at my iStat widget CPU and RAM do not show that they are anywhere near capacity, or even that there was a spike up to capacity.

I thought it might be the graphics card (since this machine has two), so I switched to the other card and I still get t same problem. I also tried to repair disk permissions.

I also think it might be hard drive related because if I am working only with open programs and in ram, it doesn't seem too bad, but it immediately takes a huge hit if I try to open a new program or save something in a program like Word.

It seems like a HUGE GIGANTIC latency issue. For example, when I click on something, it will eventually get around to registering that click, but it may take a while, and sometimes, it just doesn't register the click.

Any ideas? Please help, I need the computer for work and don't have time to sit at the Genius Bar to have them keep my computer for a week and not fix it (like last time I was there).

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It sounds like a hardware connection problem. The Genius Bar may be your only option. First try:
    1. reset SMC.
    2. reset NVRAM.
    3. take a backup and try a reinstall

If nothing works, it's most likely hardware related and you'll have to suck it up.
    Sorry.