Sbsettings on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by threezero, Aug 10, 2010.

1. threezero macrumors 6502

So my free memory button on sb isn't working? Is that he way it's suppose to be? My frd who is also jb on iPhone 4, his free memory button works fine.

Also I always have mail and phone running under process in sbsettings. I close it and sec later when I go into process it's there again.

Please shred some light

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not sure about the free memory button not working. But Mail always runs so it can check for any new emails in the backgound. There are ways of turning it off. Phone, I'm not really sure why it runs. All I know is that when opening Messages or Phone it also opens and stays open until closed.

Light has been shed. (shred?)

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Mail and phone always run in the back.
    If mail didnt you wouldnt be able to send and receice texts and mms and if phone didnt run you wouldnt be able to receive calls.
    Also when you click free memory if there isnt any memory to be freed up it just dismisses it and if it can free more memory at times then it does.
    So both things are normal and working as they should.

4. threezero thread starter macrumors 6502

With my 3G I could turn off both phone and mail from sbsettings and it will only come back on when I utilize it and it stay open till I close it again via sbsettings.

Free memory really doesn't seem to be working. When I start up te phone afresh. I would have 320mb free by te end of the day with everything close (except phone and mail of course) I only have around 220mb. I'm sure the 100 mb is from ram not being release by various apps I've open during te day. Press free memory all that happen is now I have 219mb free. Press it again 218mb. Wait a bit back to 219. I'm sure that now how it's suppose to work. With my 3G everytime I press it I could get at least 10mb back

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wether it shows up or not those 2 are always running in the back.
    About the free up memory thing thats how sbsettings has been behaving since 4.0 on both my i4's and a 3GS I tested out. Sometimes it frees up other times it doesnt. Nothing much you can do.
    I think you are just beeing a little too OCD about it. You have 219mb unused and want to free up more for what?

6. noahsnyc macrumors regular

7. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Is anyone else having problems re-arranging the order of the toggles? I can move them, but there's no changes when I respring. :confused:

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

After you rearrange the toggles, you have to tap on "Move Rows" again so you see the ON/OFF sliders again. Then exit SBSettings and let the respring happen. The position of the toggles should update then.

S-

9. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Ahh, yes. That worked a treat! Many thanks. :)

10. tom2847 macrumors regular

SBSettings with Activator kills your battery anyway. Once it is removed, you will see a difference in battery life as well as performance. I'm not even kidding.

11. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Not even a little bit?

12. tom2847 macrumors regular

Not even.

13. Kimball macrumors regular

But the toggles are so much worth it imho!

To "solve" the problem with freeing memory I put the app "FreeMemory" @ Sbsettings "dock" and it works wonders!

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I just tested this, and I have to say that it seems to be right so far.
    SBSettings and Activator didnt seem to mess with my 3GS' battery life(Maybe because I had it for so long, I was immune).

With both running on my iPhone 4, the battery was the same as the 3GS, so I didn't think anything of it. I'll be able to confirm, later today.

15. threezero thread starter macrumors 6502

Removed as in remove sbsettings all together? Or is there some way to use it without activators.will turning off some toggels help wit battery life?

16. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

False. I experienced no faulty or laggy performance, and my battery is perfect.

17. ender21 macrumors 6502

Famous last words back in the days of 1GB of RAM, eh? Who needs more? :p

Wanting to free up otherwise unused memory isn't OCD. If there are zombie processes running or something is stuck and hasn't freed up memory, who are we to say that we *shouldn't* free it up, especially when there's a feature with big letters that says "FREE MEMORY."

When I reboot my ip4 I have anywhere from 370-380MB free. Then as I use apps and shut them down (and kill the processes I can kill) it eventually gets whittled down to around 300MB. The ip4 is essentially in the same state that it was when I rebooted except that there is now 70MB less of Memory available.

It's not so much that I want that 70MB for some use, it's knowing that it *should* be free but isn't that is annoying. And if FREE MEMORY is supposed to release it, why won't it?

For the record, I submitted a feedback to the app author about this and he replied pretty much the same as you: It doesn't free the memory because you already have enough. Wow, if actual OS's took that approach.... !

18. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

While I'll admit I have the same OCD as a few other people, free memory is wasted memory. Whether you have 300mb free or 2000mb free there's no difference.

19. curuxu macrumors newbie

Battery drain

I'm pretty sure sbsettings drains my iPhone 4's battery a lot faster. I've tried to install it three times and three times I've had to restore from scratch (as new) in order to get the same battery performance as before. What's really weird is that my wife's iPhone 4 doesn't have any problem whatsoever. Her battery life is great and she's running sbsettings without a problem.

So I'm thinking that it may be a conflict with another application or something that's causing this issue....

curuxu

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Unused memory is wasted memory.