SBSettings problem

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jnardis, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Nothing ever happens when I try to Free Up Memory under Processes. If I have 6 apps running and I press Free Up Memory and then close SBSettings, the same apps are still there when I go back in. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Lamplighter77 macrumors member

Mine does the same thing. I wasn't sure if maybe I just didn't understand what the free up memory button actually did. Is it supposed to close all apps?

3. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

On my 3Gs, when I pressed Free Up Memory, all the apps went away excet Phone and Mail.

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

"Free Up Memory" never closed apps for me. I figured it was meant to clean up memory leaks from apps that didn't close properly or didn't clean up after themselves, but WTFDIK.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It definitely seems like it did more on my 3G than on my ip4. If I manually close everything, I seem to get all the memory back. Clicking the button doesn't seem to do anything

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't think the "Free up Memory" feature actually closes app unless is necessary (like on the 3G where the memory is limited), what it does is it looks for Allocated memory space that was assigned to an specific applications and if that object are ne being use, it drain those memories pool and return those memory to the OS. Some app are more efficient than other, by efficient I ment that they actually release the memory once the function have finish running, other programmer rather wait to the end of the execution to release memory.

7. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I just tested this on my phone.. I went from 88mb free to 134 mb free. But none of the apps closed..

8. thep33t macrumors regular

w/88 (or134)MB free, why would you WANT to close any of the apps for memory's sake?

MAybe for battery, but it isnt a Battery Free button...

9. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

On pre 4.0 firmware 'clear processes' would remove apps from memory like the iPod app and Safari. Now we have native backgrounding in post 4.0 firmware it's function is pretty much unneeded. It respects the OS's decision to leave the state of open apps in memory and won't close them. Perhaps BigBoss could change it so it closes all native backgrounded apps too but for now it's pretty useless.