SBSettings>>processes>>FREE UP MEMORY??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gravytrain84, Aug 14, 2010.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

What exaclty is this supposd to do besides the obvious? Nothing at all happens whenever I hit free up memory. Also, sometimes I'll have <100mb of available memory then when I close all multitask apps I'll have 300mb, I thought multi task wasnt supposed to actually run in the background and decrease speed/battery...

2. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Still takes memory for it to store exactly where you are in the app for multitasking...it just doesn't slow down your phone because the app isn't running.

3. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

So the performance of my phone wouldnt be effected if I have 75mb of free space as opposed to 300?

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

You can try to install "Remove Recent" from Cydia which is suppose to kill everything but Phone and Mail, but for some reason it doesnt seem to be working anymore for me.

5. threezero macrumors 6502

That is becuz that's not what it's suppose to do. As of ios4 some apps are background enable some are not. The problem
    Is the ones that are not still show up on ur multitask bar and thus confusing u. Remove recent remove that and leave only those apps that actually ran in the background in the multitask bar.

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

Remove Recent basically made your iOS4 multitask dock more efficient.

Originally, the multitasking dock will display all recently opened app even though it's NOT currently running (Try it with non iOS4 app like Bank of America/Chase app, it will still display it there even though the app is not running)

With Remove Recent, it will only display apps that's currently running in the background ;)

7. macattack87 macrumors member

i installed remove recents on my iphone 4

but it didnt do anything, all the apps still pile up in the dock

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

Well if your app really runs on the background (a.k.a iOS4 compatible) then it will be on the dock....

9. macattack87 macrumors member

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

Have you tried resetting your phone?

And what app are you talking about? Have you tried using non iOS4 app (I know Meebo is not... Bank of America, Chase, and Amex are not either)

11. macattack87 macrumors member

yes i rebooted it...but that didn't change anything

i tried all the apps that i had, all of them appear in the dock

12. FK1983 macrumors newbie

What are you talking about?!?

At least understand what things do before installing them!
    Remove recents gets rid of the apps on the taskbar that are not actually running (recent apps you run a lot), only running apps stay there (in foreground and background as a saved state), basically how it should be.

You will still see apps running but only apps that are running and not any recent apps that aren't running.

Remove recents is one of the best apps on cydia, superb, I hated the multi task before I had remove recents installed, now you actually know what is actually running on your device!

P.S, the iphone 4 should have around 365mb free when nothing else is running, the other 147mb being used (total 512mb) is for the iOS, if you close everything running on your iphone 4 you will have 365mb free.

13. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Thanks for this btw, just installed it on my phone and it did exactly what it was supposed to do and what Apple should have made it do aswell, only show the apps that are actually open instead of a massive list of recent apps because at the end of the day I normally have about 30 apps in that little pop up thing and I have no idea which ones are actually open in the background, now I do :D

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Hm. Could have swore someone told me it was suppose to kill all the apps.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right.

15. jinx1000 macrumors member

I use it with Backgrounder to kill almost everything and keep everything off the taskbar.

16. globalist macrumors 6502a

After reading this thread I installed Remove Recent but how do I activate it? It's not in my springboard as an app, not in Settings, not in SBsettings, not in the native Quick Launch... just an installed package in Cydia. Any help would be appreciated!

17. froggiemlm macrumors member

why not just get the new SBS plug in remove background?

18. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

It doesnt have one, just look at your taskbar, all it does it remove the programs from there. If you dont want it to, uninstall.

19. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Installed remove background and it seems to work well.

I was having some battery drain when my phone was in airplane mode and all the tasks were in the taskbar even though technically they were not running.

The next day I shut down everything in the taskbar and I had virtually no battery drain. This toggle will allow me to shut everything down before I go to bed without any fear of losing excess battery.

20. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

+1
    remove background toggle in SBSettings has been working great for me too

21. globalist macrumors 6502a

Thing is it does not even do that. Non-background-enabled apps keep sitting in my taskbar so I take it this is not working. Gonna try the Remove Background SBS toggle now.

Edit: OK the SBS toggle works but it removes ALL task bar apps, even the backround-enabled ones and apple default ones such as Phone. Is there really no sensible and working solution for this?

22. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

Remove Background is exactly what I've been looking for. It works great, and I prefer it over Clear Recents because RB let's me still use app switching.

23. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

There was a new Backgrounder update yesterday, would that be the reason why the app switcher seems to work better now? Or do none of you have it and noticed a change? (horrible grammar in that last sentence, my bad ;))