SBSS Or Simple SS?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by debsagos, Sep 16, 2018.

1. debsagos macrumors member

debsagos

Sell me one over the other. I have always had SS, but may be swayed towards SBSS. Is black SS really more hardwearing?

2. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

SBSS doesn’t show micro scratches like SS
    SS can be polished SBSS doesn’t have to

3. MagicTorch macrumors member

Pros & Cons to each. If you are definitely not going down the Aluminium route, I would say that if you have always had SS before, why not get SBSS, if only purely for a change

Me personally - I currently own a Series 0 in SS & a Series 2 in Space Grey Aluminium. I am probably going to make use of some unspent gift vouchers I have, which can be spent at a retail store in the UK (John Lewis), to purchase a Series 4 (Series 4 is on sale at John Lewis from this coming Friday). However, I have been struggling on deciding whether to be frugal/sensible & just get the Space Grey Aluminium (almost have enough vouchers to cover the cost of the Aluminium Watch entirely), or, whether to add a chunk of my own cash & go all out/treat myself to SS or SBSS. Yesterday, I thought that my mind was set on SS, but today, my mind is set on SBSS...no doubt tomorrow, I will wake up with my mind set on Space Grey Aluminium!

4. debsagos thread starter macrumors member

debsagos

I really like the chunk of SS! I reckon I will be flip flopping between the two, and end up buying the one I can snag on Friday

5. Rangers94, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018

Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

I’m gonna go with the SB SS. Reason being, I’ve had the aluminum for the past 2 series and want to make the move to stainless steel. I feel with the bigger screen and slimmer look along with faster processor I’m willing to pay the extra cash for SS. I plan on keeping it for 2-3 years.

Also, I’m very active and workout regularly and feel that the SB SS looks not only classy but when paired with a sport band has a more casual look for gym..running etc.. whereas in my opinion the simple SS looks better if your dressing up and looks kinda out of place if working out or dressing casually.

6. MagicTorch macrumors member

Yep, pretty much how I feel...you have pretty much listed the reasons why I am leaning towards SBSS. I like classy, but in a conservative way. Whilst out running today, I was thinking to myself that the extra weight of SS would be no big deal when running & that if I paired an SBSS with my existing Nike Sport Band it would look absolutely fine when working out (but that SS with a Sport Band might look a bit OTT & too ‘bling’ when running/working out)

7. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

8. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

SS=More band choice flexibility
    SBSS=More durability

9. Rangers94 macrumors 6502

Rangers94

What is more durable about SBSS over SS? It scratches less or just doesn’t show scratches as much?

10. Cnasty macrumors 68030

Cnasty

The coating has more durability then the SS which if you breathe on it the wrong way it will show a scratch.

Easily polished though is the SS which is a plus as well since you cant polish the SB.

If the SB is scratched, you are done for as that scratch isnt coming out.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Space black Apple Watch has a DLC, which is abbreviated for ‘diamond like carbon coating’, it’s basically a highly protective layer around the black casing, which makes it almost impervious to scratches. I have owned two space black Apple Watches, and none of them have ever scratched whatsoever. If you’re somebody that’s concerned about scratches, I highly recommend this model. And for the record, band pairing is not as difficult as some make it seem.

12. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Do you know if the gold SS also get the DLC coating that the SB gets?

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No, The Gold stainless receives a PVD (Physical Vapor coating), which is the exact same coating that the space gray bands use for the iPhone X. It’s not as durable as DLC, but that’s good news that they did use a protective coating for the gold stainless to resist scratches/scuffs.

14. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

Is there such a thing as silver PVD? Could Apple not have used that on the SS to at least give it some kind of protection.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good Question. I think with regular stainless, scratches blend much easier, when you have opposing colors like gold or black, it tends to stand out showing scratches much more, which wouldn’t make it as appealing. Thats The only reason I can think why.

16. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I might have to try the SBSS again and see if that sticks then as the gold is a little too bling for the gym lol

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The only other reason I went with the space black was not just because of the DLC, but really all my bands pair with it. I was first hesitant about that years back, but I like the contrast of having some of my bands with the black stainless. Try it again, you have 14 days.

When I receive my black stainless, I will post a picture of that leather band as you requested. Also, my regular stainless link band has a nice contrast with the black stainless casing.

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

The DLC coat is inherently black I would say (after all it is carbon, IE coal...) The gold SS gets a different sort of coat.

19. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I did like the look of it sat on my wrist though, like a beautiful black opal with this text that appeared to just be floating like a hologram... The things that stopped me was 1) My platinum ring and 2) Wasn't sure how brown leather bands would look on it. I was thinking of getting Hermès replica with black hardware, so wondered what that colour (Barenia) would look like against the black.

20. Eileen89, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018