Scale vs. Genie Effect

BugsBunny

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
Okay, this dock magnifier choice, I've been examining it all night and can't figure out what the difference is.

Simple question, anyone have the answer?

-kritter-

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Idaho
the scale & genie effects apply towards minimizing and maximazing a window...has nothing to do with the dock...so try both with minimizing something and you will see the difference...

Ninden

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
Rochester, New York
Also, if you hold shift while minimizing, (or any of the effects such as expose, dasboard, min/maximizing) the animation will play back slowly and you'll really be able to see what each does visually.

Mgkwho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
I prefer the suck effect, but that's a mod and I forget how to do it...I think I found it on TUAW...

-=|Mgkwho

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
The Genie effect looks cooler, but I find the scale effect more practical and faster so that's what I'm using.

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
I prefer the suck effect, but that's a mod and I forget how to do it...I think I found it on TUAW...

-=|Mgkwho
Suck makes my eye follow the app all the way into the dock, I don't like it and think its not a choice in the GUI because its unfinished...

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I think whats great about the genie effect is that it help the user "understanding" what is going on with is window. I mean, for anyone who is really not into computer (see : my mom), the genie effect make the fact clear that the window you minimized is now "waiting" in the dock.

That's the purpose in general of having a great visual desing. Effects should not be put here simply to look cool, they should help informing the user on what's going on.

sbluetruck

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Wisconsin der hey
i've had computer illiterate friends love OS X for features like those.
when they minimize a window, with the genie effect, the can actually see where it is for when they need it later. something as simple as that makes their whole experience better