Scale vs. Genie Effect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BugsBunny, Aug 17, 2007.

1. BugsBunny macrumors member

Okay, this dock magnifier choice, I've been examining it all night and can't figure out what the difference is.

Simple question, anyone have the answer?

2. -kritter- macrumors regular

-kritter-

the scale & genie effects apply towards minimizing and maximazing a window...has nothing to do with the dock...so try both with minimizing something and you will see the difference...

3. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

Also, if you hold shift while minimizing, (or any of the effects such as expose, dasboard, min/maximizing) the animation will play back slowly and you'll really be able to see what each does visually.

4. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

I prefer the suck effect, but that's a mod and I forget how to do it...I think I found it on TUAW...

-=|Mgkwho

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The Genie effect looks cooler, but I find the scale effect more practical and faster so that's what I'm using.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Suck makes my eye follow the app all the way into the dock, I don't like it and think its not a choice in the GUI because its unfinished...

7. /V\acpower macrumors 6502

I think whats great about the genie effect is that it help the user "understanding" what is going on with is window. I mean, for anyone who is really not into computer (see : my mom), the genie effect make the fact clear that the window you minimized is now "waiting" in the dock.

That's the purpose in general of having a great visual desing. Effects should not be put here simply to look cool, they should help informing the user on what's going on.

8. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i've had computer illiterate friends love OS X for features like those.
    when they minimize a window, with the genie effect, the can actually see where it is for when they need it later. something as simple as that makes their whole experience better