Scaling in Parallels 10 just stopped working properly (Win 7)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WorldIRC, Aug 28, 2014.

1. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Bought my rMBP 3 days ago.

Installed Parallels, set it to "Best for Retina". Everything worked great, scaled properly.

Connected my rMBP to 2 external monitors and operated the unit in clamshell mode. Parallels continued to work perfectly.

Disconnected my rMBP from the 2 external monitors. Now in Parallels, all the fonts are gigantic and apps basically unusable. I tried changing the DPI settings from within Windows but they revert upon log out / log in. I tried playing with the other retina settings within Parallels - they trigger changes, but not the kind I want. As soon as I revert to "best for retina", the problem comes back.

What happened and how do I fix it? I was very close to purchasing Parallels (because it scaled better than Fusion) but now this...

2. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

For temporary resolution, I set Parallels to "More Space". This triggers the full resolution and allows me to set the DPI myself, but I preferred "best for retina".

3. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

It's the exact same in Parallels 9, earlier today I was using the retina display for some work in Visual Studio; later on plugged it into an external display in clamshell mode and everything in Windows was massive and distorted.

I'm using 8.1, think its just Windows support for hi-dpi displays being useless

4. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya mine is a bit different.

Day 1 (MBP only) - worked perfect
    Day 2 (Clamshell Mode + External Monitors) - worked perfect
    Day 3 (MBP only) - fonts way too large

5. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else? Parallels may as well be useless for me because of this and would cause me to reconsider using a Mac since I need my 1 application to run.

6. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

I installed Windows 8.1 in Parallels, and now Windows 7 (as well as Windows 8) is scaling properly. Weird eh?

The test will be using my laptop in clamshell mode again AND then seeing what happens when I disconnect it.

7. WorldIRC thread starter macrumors 6502

So - everything seems to scale properly on my retina now. Must've been a weird glitch.