Scaling up a pen outline for a poster print?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by zerocustom1989, Jan 28, 2009.

1. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'd like to make a poster to hang up in my dorm room using the following image:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/zerocustom1989/Picture1-17.png

I'm not sure how to scale up the raster lines so it can be the appropriate resolution for an 18x20 print.

I'm not worried about the letters and symbols, just the lines. Is there a good way to get vector these lines without spending countless hours or losing a ton of detail?

-Thanks

2. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

That's a pretty simple re-draw in Illustrator. In fact, LiveTrace would probably get you 95% of the way in about 60 seconds, plus a maximum 10 minutes' clean-up ...

Cheers!

Jim

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yup, Jim's right. Just adjust the settings in LiveTrace to fine tune it, and you're pretty close to done. That's a pretty simple one, and a decent size to start from.

4. zerocustom1989 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm only a hobbyist when it comes to these things so I'll ask a potentially silly question.

To clean up the resulting live trace are the recommended tools the Blob Brush and the eraser?

Does illustrator have something else hidden in its menus? I know I don't know all of the features.

5. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

In Illustrator. Expand the art after trace, then use the cursor with the minus - in the flyout menu to delete unwanted points, the plus +, to add points, the v ti change from line to constrained arc & non constrained arc.
    Then fine tune the curves with the hollow cursor.