iPhone X Scam Alert

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swisspo, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Swisspo macrumors 6502

Swisspo

Recieved a phone call this afternoon out of Austin Texas. They called me 3 times in a row before I answered since I was at work. (512-674-2000) The lady claimed to be from Apple and needed me to verify purchases that I had made. Somehow she knew I had placed an order, and that the name on my iPhone XS Max had my wifes name attached to the order.

She didn't ask for any specific information such as CC info or anything like that. I have ordered dozens of products from Apple on top of I have no idea how many different preorders I have done, never had a call from anyone claiming to be with Apple. If you call that number, it answers with an automated message similar to how it is if you call the real Apple number. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up incase anyone has already or does recieve a similar phone call.

2. TedJustAdmitit macrumors 6502

TedJustAdmitit

3. seezar macrumors regular

If you google that number it appears that is a legit number from Apple. Doesn’t appear to be a scam.

4. doboy macrumors 68020

If they didn’t want info from you why did they even call?

5. Swisspo thread starter macrumors 6502

Swisspo

Not once have I ever recieved a verification call. I called Apple after I got off the phone and was told they don't do verification phone calls.

6. TedJustAdmitit macrumors 6502

TedJustAdmitit

I understand your paranoia, but it is an Apple phone number. It's their number in Austin.

7. Swisspo thread starter macrumors 6502

Swisspo

She didn't ask me for anything specific other than to verify that I had placed orders recently.

8. doboy macrumors 68020

So how’s that scamming anybody? :)

9. Swisspo thread starter macrumors 6502

Swisspo

Well maybe it isn't, but it threw me for a loop.. I have never had any sort of verification call from Apple..

10. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

Apple Order Confirmation Call. If you have not purchase anything recently, you may have been phished. Scam calls will ask for credit card or SSN which you will never give over the phone esp from calls you received. Check your Apple account for any orders and check credit cards associated with Apple account to see if any suspicious charge.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8055804

Registered to Apple
    https://www.yellowpages.com/search?search_terms=5126742000&geo_location_terms=Santa+Rosa,+CA

11. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

That is nice and all but OP did purchase the Max so it was a legit call from apple.

12. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

Whoever told you that was mistaken.

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Yeah and caller ID is not spoofable. LOL

14. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

You will know for sure if it was legit if your phone doesn't ship.

15. Swisspo thread starter macrumors 6502

Swisspo

Thank you for this.

16. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

They’ve done that to me few times, too, and it was from Austin. They have a large facility there.

17. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

i have received similar kind of calls from apple to verify order. Its for our own safety. Its not a scam.

18. csurfr macrumors 68020

Any time that I make a large purchase from Apple they call from Austin. Specially they don’t ask for any information other than “is this Dan, and did you place an order for a new MacBook Pro / iPhone Xs Max, etc etc. if you don’t answer the phone and acknowledge it, there is a very good chance your order will not be processed.

They do this for your protection.

19. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Just check your account online to see if your order is on hold. If it shows that it's preparing for shipping you are home free. I've personally never had Apple call and verify my order and I have ordered many, many times and pretty substantial orders for my business.

20. majinbatusaix macrumors newbie

I know this thread is old, but figured this info would help anyone in my shoes searching for this number 512-674-2000.

I was called twice by this number today 08-15-19, I picked up on the 2nd time (thinking it was AMEX) but it was Apple and they asked me if I had placed an order for iPhone WHICH I DID NOT. They said they would cancel the order immediately. It was a short conversation and they said to contact my credit card company to report fraud as well/get new card.

I already knew about the suspicious transaction just about an hour before they called as I was alerted via email by my AMEX setting to notify on any purchases over $500.