Scam Check: Selling iPhone 3GS on Craigslist

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EatMyApple, Jun 28, 2010.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

Long story short, I posted my iPhone 3GS on Craigslist and received the typical spam emails and people low balling you. I originally posted it for $450 OBO cause I figured dealing would bring the price down anyway.

I received an email from a lady today asking if the iPhone was still available. I replied that it was and that the first offer gets it.

She sent me this reply:

Thanks for your prompt e-mail. I hope the item is in good condition and i will like to purchase it for my daughter in school out-of-state.and i will be very more than happy if you can help me get this item shipped, and am willing to offer $600 to include the shipping fees through the USPS Express mail service, i will be paying you with my PayPal account,If my offer is accepted send me your email with PayPal including your phone # so i can pay in right away..I work on the sea and do not have much time around me. Make sure you get back to me so that i can arrange for the payment

I await your reply

I start reading the email, see she added $150 to the price and the red flag went off. I continued reading and then I hit......USPS Express......and PayPal.......doesn't seem like the typical scam where some skinny wants me to ship my phone to Nigeria while overpaying me and requested the difference back.

I just wanted to double check before I blew this off as to if it could possibly be "real". I know, the too good to be true, and it is.....but, what would they go through the trouble of USPS Express AND PayPal???

Any ideas? I will be sending a follow up email requesting where the phone will be going as I will only be shipping within the US.

Thanks in advance!

2. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Scam.

Any time someone offers to pay more or wants some kind of convoluted shipping to a third party it is always a scam.

In this case they did both, so don't even give it a second thought. It is not a legitimate offer.

3. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I figured.....I just have never received or seen one wanting to use USPS and PayPal.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

5. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

It's very easy to Dispute with PayPal. The best way to guarantee your safety would be if she sent the Payment as a "Gift." That way she could not dispute it later on. PayPal is definitely not as safe as you seem to think.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Scam for sure. I also got a weird email in response to my ad on craigslist and the guy wanted me to click on a link (I didn't of course). I don't know what the guy was up to but he clearly has too much time on his hands. It's actually the only response I've gotten to my ad too:mad:. I seem to have bad luck with craigslist so I put mine up on ebay too.

7. jbcraigs macrumors newbie

If she is willing to buy it for 600 bucks, why can't she buy a new one. Apple will ship it for free to most countries.

If you are even contemplating going ahead with this deal....I have a giant statue in New York at a prime location that I want to sell you! Let me know if you are interested. :D

8. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Good tip! Thank you!

9. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

10. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought of that too. Just figured she really, really wanted that 3GS....or hoped!

Do you have any pictures of the statue? :D

11. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Be careful with Gift option. Scammer/claimer can still dispute with credit card company if he/she used CC as the fund.

Also note that Paypal prohibits Gift use for payment for items. Paypal gives absolutely no help if you get paid as gift, and they can turn off/put restrictions on your account if you use gift option w/o following their rule a lot.

That all said, OP's case is definitely a scam. Never ever send anything on craigslist.

12. cloudberrybrew macrumors regular

There is a way for someone to make a claim with Paypal and get there money returned to them, therefore "she" could do this after you've shipped the item.

13. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the confirmations!!! SCAM IT IS!!

THANK YOU!!!

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is definitely a scam. Also, it is not a woman. It is probably a man in Nigeria.

The fact that they don't actually mention the product in their email and don't ask any questions about it is also a giveaway.

My rules for Craigslist:

1. Cash only.

2. Meet in a public place during the day. Absolutely no shipping. Period.

3. Cash only.

15. Dr. Foosball macrumors newbie

My first red flag is the broken English. The person seems like he/she doesn't live in America has he/she uses a very strange sentence structure. Probably from India or something.

16. California King macrumors 65816

Typical scammer. You can tell they just copy and paste the same response hundreds of times trying to get a person to fall for it. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I only deal with people who will deal locally and is willing to communicate over the phone before meeting.

17. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Not necessarily. That assumes the owner of the account in question is actually the one paying you. If that's the case, then yes, that would work.

If it's a stolen PayPal account, which is likely is if it's being used in a scam, the actual owner is just going to dispute the charge on their card or through their bank. The fact it was marked as a "gift" isn't going to make a bit of difference if the actual owner of the account isn't the one who made the payment.

18. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

same ole same ole

Scammers always send the is it still available email even when the post went out less than an hour ago.

They typically show no concern on condition quality or communication. You will be thrilled how they immediately want your paypal to send you the money or even more money.

They seem to not care a whit to qualify the seller.

They have lovely stories on why it needs to go somewhere else and can't meet with you. Ever.

They will run a scam on your paypal and your paypal will be locked until you cough up the monies stolen from you in the phony transaction.

Their goal is just to get your phone. They don't want anything else to do with you.

You wonder why they don't have any interests in checking YOU and your phone out?

Scam, scam, scam. Sold my iPhone 3GS and got these regularly with every craigslist listing. Every single one. It got to be a regular thing. :p

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is also the only way I deal on Craigslist.

20. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

Face to face
    Cash only
    In public place
    else you should notice a BIG RED FLAG

21. farmermac macrumors 6502a

22. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

Oh....the email...yah that a scam...thought you were talking about trying to sell a 3gs for $450

:p

23. Stankonia macrumors regular

I had several of these when I listed my phone on Craigslist last week. It was kind of funny how obvious they were at being scams (yet sad that idiots fall for it).

Checklist:
    -Poor grammar while pretending to be American
    -Offering to pay more than I was asking for
    -Offering to send a cashier's check or other form of payment that no one has used in 20 years
    -Using an email address with one name while the signature says another name
    -Invented name using two first names (HELLO SIR I AM GEORGE KEVIN)
    -Referring to how they will pay via a US bank (what American says this)
    -Apparently doing their shopping on my medium-size midwest city's Craiglist

Are scams Nigeria's main source of revenue yet?

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

When selling on CL always add NO SCAMS. MEET IN PERSON ONLY. CASH ONLY.