Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
I have a fiend selling his mac pro for $2495. Is htis a deal or not so good????

Here are the spec's

Processors: 2 x 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8 cores)
* Memory: 6GB (2 x 1GB & 2 x 2GB) (4 more slots available - maximum 32GB total)
* Hard Drive: 500GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (3 more internal slots available)
* Video Card: ATI Radeon HD2600 XT 256MB (Dual Link DVI)
* DVD/CD: 2 x 16x Superdrives
* Accessories: Apple Mighty Mouse & Apple Aluminum Keyboard
* Mac OS X.6.2 (latest Snow Leopard, with Boot Camp utility to run Windows XP or Vista)

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Given that it's your "friend" (I presume that is what you were going out) shouldn't this be a non-issue. Mac2Sell quotes it at $3,520 – it's not scam material on first sight, but it also is not exactly within a predictable price range.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you need to ask if your friend is scamming you, I'd recommend you get new friends then.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If a fiend, probably a scam
If a friend, then ask why he is selling it, go over and run the machine through its paces, open it up and look inside. If seems like its on the up and up, it's a deal. And if it goes south on you, find your friend and make him make it right.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If a friend, then ask why he is selling it, go over and run the machine through its paces, open it up and look inside. If seems like its on the up and up, it's a deal. And if it goes south on you, find your friend and make him make it right.

LOL. Great catch. Totally agree.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2009
paces?

What would you recommend i do to best run it through a good test for speed and overall awesomeness. LOL also to make sure nothing is really wrong with it. Just do basic's like the internet and itunes or go more intensive???????

Thanks

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Little overpriced in my opinion. I would try to get below 2000. Does it have a warranty through apple?

Refurb 2.66's are 2100 or so.

WotanAgain

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
Offer him $1950 and go from there. You have to learn to *negotiate* and not just buy everything at asking price...

eastcoastsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2007
Not a very good 'friend'. When I sell to friends I try to give them great deals. If I want to milk absolute value from something I won't attempt to do that to a friend. Basically I put some value on the friendship and the ease of selling whatever it is (no shipping, no ebay, no scammers, etc...).

I'm not saying I give anything away, but I find a price (Ebay or whatever) and then go down a bit from there. Everyone ends up happy.

omerbaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
When I buy from friends, I like to give them fair prices. I don't want to get taken, but I don't want them to feel that they've been taken. You both need to sit down and do the research, you can even do that together, and come up with a price that you are both happy with, or decide that the "fair price" is not worth it for you to buy or your friend to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.