Scam Potentials - Post your Advice on Spotting a Scam

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Papanate, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Papanate macrumors regular

I've see a few posts recently asking if a buyer request was a scam or not.
    After my initial annoyance that people don't see scams....I relaxed a bit and decided a thread on scams would suit people very well.

Here are some of my clues:

1. You reside in a city in the US and selling an iPad on Craigslist.
    Scam Alert: The person is from anywhere further than 150 miles from your city. Scam Potential - 80%.

2. You are selling an iPad 1 or 2 on Craigslist in a US City and someone outside of the US - China, Nigeria, New Zealand etc...wants to buy from you...Scam Potential 100%.

3. You are selling on Ebay an iPad 1 or 2 and a person writes to ask you to close the auction early for them. That is usually followed by a request to handle 'this transaction outside of Paypal' so the buyer doesn't have to pay the fee's. Scam Potential 1000%!

4. You are selling an iPad 1 or 2 on Ebay or Craigslist and a buyer wants to pay by a Postal or Bank Money Order. Scam Potential 99%.

How about yours?

2. Longdrive, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

Longdrive macrumors member

You're selling on ebay and the buyer "buy's it now" and ask you via email to forward him the total plus additional shipping and "provide your paypal account info, i.e, email address for immediate payment. Scam potential 100%

Too bad. Ebay used to be a good place to buy and sell now there are too many losers, scammers, and fees between ebay and paypal. I'm done with both. CL has it fair share of scammers but It's easier to weed through those myself.

3. DrNoellyG macrumors member

The best anyone can do is use common sense. If in doubt or if the deal is too good to be true, then you are probably about to be scammed. Sometimes though, great deals appear, but you have to be careful. Just like you are careful in real life, the internet is no different.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you are asking if this is a scam it would likely best best you avoid CL.

BS. If you follow ALL the rules of eBay and PayPal your chance of getting scammed is very small if you are smart. I have over 600 sales and purchases on eBay and have made out nicely. I do agree that there are more scammers that ever on eBay and CL but they are easy to spot and avoid if you follow the rules.

eBay is STILL the best place to sell and have your item exposed to the greatest number of buyers. CL is also good except I do not care to meet strangers in public places.